PDA

View Full Version : Best broadband and data service suggestions - Please vote

Rudolph Muller
02-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Hi folks

Here are ten of the best suggestions for new broadband and mobile data services.

Can you please vote for your favourite.

Rudolph Muller
02-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Ajax

Off peak prepaid/bolt-on data bundles.

Valid Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, and any day between 00h00 and 05h00.

3G HSPA+: 10 GB @ R100

ADSL: 30 GB @ R100

Rudolph Muller
02-19-2012, 08:16 PM
sand_man

The Pay for what you use data bundle!!! No roll overs, no paying for unused data, no shapping or throttling, no catch, the more you use the lower the per mb rate...

0-500mb @ R0.30 per mb = R150

501-1000mb @ R0.20 per mb = R100 Total to date: R250-00

1001-1500mb @ R0.10 per mb = R50 Total to date: R300-00

1501-10 000mb @ R0.05 per mb (capped @ 10 000mb) = R425-00 Total to date: R725-00

Rudolph Muller
02-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Ghoti/B.O.F.H

Offer android phones a BIS type server. Perhaps some type of proxy service to keep online (but that cant be abused). The reason why blackberry is so popular in SA is cause of BIS. If you offer droids with a similar service it will be very popular.

Say R59pm for 100mb "Fair Use" and then the actual connection gets throttled down to 128kb or something like that after you use more than the "fair use" limit.

Rudolph Muller
02-19-2012, 08:17 PM
danlr

The Complete Package:

20 Gig Cap
DStv Premium
500 minutes
200 sms's

The packages includes:
Telkom line rental
4/10mb ADSL line rental
Monthly DStv subs
Router for 3G data use
Sim

Calls made while at home is automatically routed via land-line number, when away from home then using cellphone network - both for data and voice.

R1 500-00 pm

Rudolph Muller
02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
ocleroux

Smartie Package for Smartphones

R69.00 PM and gives you 250Meg after which you get throttled down to 150kbs (Email, IM, Browsing and Apps will all count towards FUP). No out of bundle costs to be incurred due to throttling.

Morish Package for other devices (PC's & Tablets)

R299.00 PM and gives you 2Gigs of data at full speed. After 2Gigs is reached...you will be throttled down to 250kbs.

The above packages will employ data compression as is done by Opera already....but is handled in-house by the SP and the APN which will get activated on the clients line automatically once one of the above deals is taken up. This will help the SP keep congestion down on its network and help the client in that it will make his/her allocated data within the FUP last longer. Should the client manually switch over to another APN witch does not employ compression, OOB will apply.

Throttling will occur once the FUP has been reached to the relevant throttled speed of the selected package. Once the new month is reached...counters will be reset and full speed will once again be obtained.

Rudolph Muller
02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
PsyClown

After-hours uncapped (ADSL)

A package for the downloaders who do not need to download during the day/dont need the files right now... or for those who download a fair amount but are on a budget.

So 4Mbit after-hours uncapped for R350 a month perhaps. Uncapped and unthrottled between 6PM and 7AM (Around those hours) and weekends/public holidays. During office hours (7AM until 6PM) a 15GB (Maybe a bit bigger or smaller) cap for the month. Once the 15GB has been reached, throttle speeds to 512K or something so you can at least still browse and download emails etc. during the day if you need to.

Rudolph Muller
02-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Chrispy_Ren

House package:
10Gb Bandwidth
Free windows updates
unshaped for popular games ports
+100mb data on 3g per month (for reading emails etc on the road)
R300pm

Social network package:
5gb data
free facebook
free twitter
R200pm

The media streamer:
5gb package
free youtube
R300pm

ADSL subscription and line rental excluded

Rudolph Muller
02-19-2012, 08:20 PM
JustinB

Discounted data based on tower usage

Similar to how MTN gives discounts on calls based on tower and time of day, why not do the same for data. My understanding of how the internetz works is that the pipes are always open, and the same costs are incurred, but really the issue is congestion. So you implement a sliding scale pricing model, using some nice elasticity models, that encourage usage when under-utilised by pricing down, and discourage usage when over-utilised by pricing up.

Rudolph Muller
02-19-2012, 08:20 PM
SAjunkie

Similar to 8ta Promo 60GB+60GB valid for one year:
24GB+24GB valid for one year, price between R800 and R999
Smaller bundle is better for smartphone users.

Rudolph Muller
02-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Munch

I am designing a Smart phone Bundle.

This is what people with smart phones do on their phones in no particular order:
1. Browse internet using a browser or use site specific applications like internet/news/site forums etc - No specific browser or app restrictions because phones and apps are ever evolving and people have their own preferences.
2. User all types of chat applications including but not limited to Whatsapp, GTalk, IM+, MSN Messenger, MXit and others
3. Browse and watch sites like YouTube or the phones YouTube application
4. Listen to music and download music or ring tones.
5. Email using all types of email clients including GMail apps/browsers exchange based etc.
6. Market/App Store downloads and app updates
7. Phone Firmware Updates
8. Online gaming
9. Cloud services for applications including synchronisation services like contracts, calenders, Google
10. Social Networking including Facebook, twitter, My Space etc
11. VPN other business reasons
12. General Downloading and file sharing
13. Download and read books
14. E-Commerce
15. Networks are going to hate this one but VoIP services like Skype
16. Probably stuff I missed.

People do almost everything on a smart phone that they could do on a desktop computer and people want to use their phones in that manner. This also applies to tablets although the priorities of the stated uses for a tablet is likely different from a smart phone but at the end of the day they do the same things and there will be people trying to do each of the above on either device.

However what do the mobile networks have to offer in terms of connectivity. Unfortunately they have limited airwaves that they can do very little about at least until LTE is launched. They are also limited by the connectivity between their towers and connection to the internet. I.e. their own backbone. That they can do something about and this must not be used as an excuse.

Due to the limitations of the airwaves and lack of 4th generation networks they cannot allow for large amounts of data to be pulled and users that wish to use their devices in such a manner must use WiFi networks connected to fixed line internet instead. However the networks must allow users to do small amounts of all of the above uses. Since each user is different and use their devices differently it does not make sense to try and limit specific applications because you will alienate a part of the user base. What we need is a service that does not discriminate between types of traffic, but at the same time does not allow users to abuse this by just using their device for bandwidth intensive applications which could rather be performed on a WiFi network.

What people don't want. People don't want their bandwidth to be cut off mid month because it has run out. They want to be connected 24/7 up to 31 days a month. This includes staying in contact with their chat applications, weather, calendars, social networks etc. Some of the services they use also requires speed like video streaming or Skype.

How can this be achieved:
Uncapped makes allot of sense to achieve the above and it's hard to see how it can can achieve without uncapped. A uncapped service already exists. It is uncapped however cannot be easily abused because after a fair use limit is reached it is throttled. However these existing bundles are designed for computer internet usage and not for phone use, i.e. they are too expensive to be considered as an add on bundle for a phone and cannot be added as a bundle on a existing line as they are a package in themselves.

First up smart phone users want a bundle that can be added to any voice tariff, i.e. prepaid, contract or hybrid. Although it may be mandatory on certain contracts you must be able to take the bundle month to month on a existing contract or on prepaid. The reason this should not need a contract is because contracts are for when a free device it part of the deal such a 3G Stick and the costs need to be recovered. They can however be mandatory on some contracts to improve the device options. The important thing here is that it's not limited to 24 month contracts. Tablet users can just buy a prepaid sim and purchase the bundles an never top up with airtime.

My proposed bundles:
Lite-
64kbps throttled all the way R49
Probably only good for messaging and simplest tasks. People used to browse on less than 56kbps. Although web sites have become bulkier since then you should be able to browse mobile sites at this speed. And if you choose to use browsers like Opera that compress images and sites to mobile size you can even browse bulkier sites. Of course you can topup with some full speed data if needed. This bundle is also useful for people who have not so smart phones. For those that think this is too expensive people used to pay R99 or more for uncapped dial up excluding the cost of the phone calls.

Lite
100MB full speed throttled to 128kbps thereafter R69
This will be fine for people who want a BIS like service and just need to message, receive emails, some social networking and browse the web. Due to the 100MB full speed portion they will be able to perform some more demanding tasks, like small downloads from the market, some music and enjoy some online gaming. Trying to do too much of anything however will rapidly deplete the bundle. The 128kbps will support web browsing, email, social networking and even some small downloads at the cost of time. More expensive than BIS because BIS has limitations of it's own.

Lite+
100MB full speed throttled to 256kb/s thereafter - R99
Same as Lite but with a faster out of bundle speed. This will satisfy people who want faster internet browsing after depleting the bundle and possibly support some streaming applications.

Smarty
250MB full speed FUP throttled to 128kb/s thereafter - R129
Like Lite with a larger bundle. This is for people who believe they will use less than 250MB per month but want the insurance of not being cut of from mail/messaging if they do run out.

Smarty+
250MB full speed FUP throttled to 256kb/s thereafter - R149
Like Lite+ with a larger bundle. This is for people who feel that if their bundle runs out they will still be able to do most things.

Heavy
1GB full speed FUP throttled to 128kb/s thereafter - R209
Yet another larger bundle compared to Smarty

Heavy+
1GB full speed FUP throttled to 256kb/s thereafter R249 (Cheaper than MTN 2GB offering)
Yet another larger bundle compared to Smarty+

The Lite bundles will suit most scholars/students/lower income market
The Smarty bundles will suit middle classed average users
The Heavy bundles will suit users that don't have alternate internet sources.
Power users should go for alternate packages like the already existing MTN uncapped 3GB, 256kbs throttled @ R299 or uncapped 5GB, 384 throttled @ R899

You are allowed to top up the full speed bundle portion, by purchasing top up bundles.
These bundles could look something like this:
1. 10MB R10 (Same price as a bundle from MTN)
2. 100MB R49 (Same price as a bundle from Cell C)
3. 250MB R79 (8-ta currently charges R80)
4. 1GB R119 (Price extrapolated between 250MB and 2GB)
5. 2GB R149 (Same price as a bundle from MTN and Cell C).

If I had to drop some of those bundles it would be the Heavy bundles as I believe the market currently wants a low cost BIS alternative for smart phones. And the Lite and Smart bundles will cover most of those people. Anyone who needs more than 250MB per month might be considered power users and probably deserve taking out a more expensive larger bundle(at least for now, though as things change 1GB will become the new minimum at some point and that is why I included the Heavy bundles).

I believe the costs are in line with existing costs already out there for mobile internet and should therefore be sustainable. The biggest type of abuse that we want to prevent is people who try to download the whole internet i.e. people that try to download 24/7 or stream too much. This is the biggest fear and obstacle that networks have to uncapped services. Although the throttling proposed above will deter such people there will still be people that try and do so anyway. To further deter these types of users who should be using WiFi or fixed line internet instead or pay for wireless data per GB you can implement a download window such as that used by Web Africa on their uncapped ADSL products. If you download more that the allotted amount in a window you will be throttled further. Say to 64kbps. But even at 64kbps you can download over 20GB's in a month but in reality and on average most people will not go anywhere near that. Those that have data requirements more than that should probably be using other methods like fixed line or WiFi.

Finally the networks will be reluctant to offer anything like this as it will compete with many of their own existing but highly profitable offerings. Their own users will mass migrate to these offerings and they will be giving up their extremely inflated profit margins. So we understand that they are resistant to change.

I also have another idea for a bundle that I will not discuss much but what I consider the ultimate bundle. My main entry remains the predetermined bundles above. You as customer create you own bundle using a calculator type tool. You choose your own parameters like fixed cap, throttling speed and windows sizes etc. There is no limit to the numbers you can choose so if you want a throttle speed of 87kbps with a 119MB full speed portion the calculator will interpret the parameters and understands how each one impacts the price and calculates a custom cost for you own defined bundle. Then you can do away with predetermined bundles and just have a single bundle. Or keep them for use in promotions.

Khanya
02-19-2012, 09:08 PM
But doesn't Heavy+ get whipped with the current offering of MTN lite of R289 3GB then 256Kbps. + the bulk of MTN users on the lite package are reporting full speed 24/7 in which case suggests MTN might be experimenting to reconsider their policy as 256Kbps in world standards is not broadband.

Nevertheless, I take Heavy+.

buyeye
02-19-2012, 09:25 PM
danlr

The Complete Package:

20 Gig Cap
DStv Premium
500 minutes
200 sms's

The packages includes:
Telkom line rental
4/10mb ADSL line rental
Monthly DStv subs
Router for 3G data use
Sim

Calls made while at home is automatically routed via land-line number, when away from home then using cellphone network - both for data and voice.

R1 500-00 pm

At R1500.00 it better have an uncapped 1meg/s line

latro
02-19-2012, 10:03 PM
All the ideas are great. I voted for Munch but would've liked to vote for an adsl product too. danlr's package looks sweet.

At least the networks have a lot of brilliant ideas now :)

Space_Kriek
02-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Dont like the bis type service. After a month or two its gonna be so slow that you wont be able to browse google

Dragon_Void
02-20-2012, 08:26 AM
A BIS type of service is a waist, like Space_Kriek said. Sad thing is, everyone will want to go for it, just to download their favorite music "For free". that is why I voted for the 24GB + 24GB bundle (Even though I use 24GB in 2 weeks).

danlr
02-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Can the winner (person who's deal actually become reality) either get a few months free subs or something nice, seeing that we did some work for the SP's??? :D

PsyCLown
02-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Can the winner (person who's deal actually become reality) either get a few months free subs or something nice, seeing that we did some work for the SP's??? :D

The winner will get something nice! A free Galaxy Tab! :P

The runner up even gets something, an iPod Shuffle! :D

HotPie
02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Some nice ideas on the list, hope the SP's dont waste them...

leelo
02-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Reverse ADSL is what I want - I want to HOST my own website with my own hardware and not some ponsy ISPs.

Reverse ADSL as in 1Mb upload 256k download (as opposed to the 1Mb download and 256k upload)

Data packages remain the same. . . . just obviously upload is used more than down . . . UNTAPPED MARKET!
Dyndns will take care of the rest.

PsyCLown
02-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Reverse ADSL is what I want - I want to HOST my own website with my own hardware and not some ponsy ISPs.

Reverse ADSL as in 1Mb upload 256k download (as opposed to the 1Mb download and 256k upload)

Data packages remain the same. . . . just obviously upload is used more than down . . . UNTAPPED MARKET!
Dyndns will take care of the rest.

I do not think the demand for it will be as great as faster ADSL speeds / cheaper ADSL / better uncapped.
It would most certainly be useful and something nice to have, I do not see it being amazingly popular though. Its really only good for those who want to upload a lot and do not care about download speeds much. The average user does not really care that much about upload speeds.

Upload speeds do make a difference, but majority would rather have faster download speeds if given the choice.
I know I would. Im not too sure how that would effect the infrastructure for the ISP's and whether it would be worth while for them to implement such a thing.

EDIT: Does anyone have any idea when the poll will close?

alexevers
02-20-2012, 06:33 PM
I really like the idea of the uncapped after hours, especially for me since i work 7:30am to 5pm (get home at 6pm) and at R350 it is affordable.

UnUnOctium
02-21-2012, 10:37 AM
So higher caps or lower data prices at different times of day. That summarized 80% of the choices. Nothing worthy of a vote IMO.

latro
02-21-2012, 10:54 AM
So higher caps or lower data prices at different times of day. That summarized 80% of the choices. Nothing worthy of a vote IMO.

Hello Vodacom :p

grav80
02-21-2012, 10:59 AM
After-hours uncapped sounds like what I'd need. Neither me nor my wife are at home during office hours

Space_Kriek
02-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Voters: 54. You have already voted on this pol

We need allot more votes that 54 to be able to get a realistic result.

mercurial
02-22-2012, 07:20 PM
I voted for:

Offer android phones a BIS type server – R59 per month

McT
02-22-2012, 08:42 PM
We need allot more votes that 54 to be able to get a realistic result.

55 votes now :)

JustinB
02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
EDIT: Does anyone have any idea when the poll will close?

Not sure - but shouldn't some of the ISP/MSPs be commenting on these? Particularly i.t.o. the feasibility of them.

latro
02-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Not sure - but shouldn't some of the ISP/MSPs be commenting on these? Particularly i.t.o. the feasibility of them.

Already closed. Check the announcement thread. Psyclown won.

UnUnOctium
02-24-2012, 10:05 AM

Touche. If I knew it was a popularity contest, I would've just suggested "Unshaped, uncapped for R100 per month".