PDA

View Full Version : Ftth

latro
02-29-2012, 01:24 AM
So, with DFA and the likes laying fibre everywhere and essentialy handing the reigns over to operators/ISP's to provide fttx/ftth, would it be unrealistic to expect to see ftth deployed to homes in major areas within the next 5 years? Perhaps even sooner?

Rudolph Muller
02-29-2012, 03:30 PM
I think we will see it in some areas, especially gated villages which may already have fibre infrastructure. The problem is usually with permissions to dig up roads, and then get to customers (hence trench into your yard).

Vodacom Business clearly stated that are looking at FTTH in some areas: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadband/44381-fibre-broadband-connectivity-good-news-for-sa.html

latro
02-29-2012, 04:13 PM
I think we will see it in some areas, especially gated villages which may already have fibre infrastructure. The problem is usually with permissions to dig up roads, and then get to customers (hence trench into your yard).

Vodacom Business clearly stated that are looking at FTTH in some areas: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadband/44381-fibre-broadband-connectivity-good-news-for-sa.html

Good for them. Hope it pans out.

I.r.t the trenching, does one have to ask permission from several different places to proceed? Is that the reason it's such an issue? Sorry for the noobish questions.

I should've posted this in a relevant news thread. For some reason I couldn't find the delete thread option.

Rudolph Muller
02-29-2012, 08:36 PM
I.r.t the trenching, does one have to ask permission from several different places to proceed? Is that the reason it's such an issue? Sorry for the noobish questions.Usually the local authorities/municipalities, but when they want to come into your yard you obviously have to approve it (open the gates and house etc). You can imagine that it is not easy.

twicode
03-01-2012, 06:34 AM
So, with DFA and the likes laying fibre everywhere and essentialy handing the reigns over to operators/ISP's to provide fttx/ftth, would it be unrealistic to expect to see ftth deployed to homes in major areas within the next 5 years? Perhaps even sooner?For now I only think exclusive suburbs to sell services like DSTV online to. Developers should start laying fibre by default in new communities.

John
03-01-2012, 08:43 AM
For now I only think exclusive suburbs to sell services like DSTV online to. Developers should start laying fibre by default in new communities.This is the best way forward. It is easy to bundle the cost with the house, and it is also to get fibre into a house when it is being built. Afterwards it is far more challenging.

Space_Kriek
03-01-2012, 04:46 PM
For now I only think exclusive suburbs to sell services like DSTV online to. Developers should start laying fibre by default in new communities.

Not gonna happen. Developers wanna keep the cost down to n bare minimum

latro
03-01-2012, 05:08 PM
This is the best way forward. It is easy to bundle the cost with the house, and it is also to get fibre into a house when it is being built. Afterwards it is far more challenging.

Not gonna happen. Developers wanna keep the cost down to n bare minimum

So were at an impasse here.

Irt permissions for digging up roads (existing housing) is there no way the goverment can make it at least a bit easier for them by say, having them get a licence of sorts that allows them to dig wherever they -need- to (ofc having to redo paving/tar etc). The place where I can't see a solution is inside your premises. But hell, I'm sure if you want a fibre connection in your house your gonna go out of your way to accommodate them.

I'm sure there are some implications I'm not seeing though.

John
03-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Irt permissions for digging up roads (existing housing) is there no way the goverment can make it at least a bit easier for them by say, having them get a licence of sorts that allows them to dig wherever they -need- to (ofc having to redo paving/tar etc). The place where I can't see a solution is inside your premises. But hell, I'm sure if you want a fibre connection in your house your gonna go out of your way to accommodate them.It is tricky all around. I do not want every tom, dick and harry to dig up the roads. It must be managed, but managed well!