PDA

View Full Version : No plans to destroy Afrikaans says ANC

robt
03-02-2012, 11:57 AM
The ANC says it has no plans to destroy the Afrikaans language, Beeld newspaper reported on Friday.

This was in reaction to criticism of the governing party's language development policy.

The ANC used its majority in the parliamentary portfolio committee on arts and culture on Wednesday to reject a suggestion that it could afford better protection to the Afrikaans language.

A controversial clause in the policy - according to which government departments have to provide services in at least three languages, two of which have to be previously disadvantaged and indigenous - received a majority vote.

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Politics/ANC-has-no-plans-to-destroy-Afrikaans-20120302

Very nice to see that they at least try to allay fears of the Afrikaaners in this country. Not sure if it is only lip service though as the policy appears to partially disempower Afrikaans as an official language?

But then again maybe Afrikaans plays too prominent a role and they want more power given to African langauges?

McT
03-05-2012, 09:38 PM
I take everything the ANC says with more than just a pinch of salt.

robt
03-05-2012, 09:59 PM
I take everything the ANC says with more than just a pinch of salt.

I'm also not sure if you can believe what they say - I think it's inevitable that Afrikaans is going to be sidelined.

The only sticking point is that Afrikaners are still a force to be reckoned with in SA (not really numbers but they are wealthy and hold many positions of power in SA - in the economy not really politically anymore). And they are quite an aggressive nation as well so I don't think the ANC will find it all that easy.

Not sure if the two can co-exist peacefully but I hope there is an easy middle ground.