PDA

View Full Version : e-Tolling: Yes or no?

Rudolph Muller
03-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Head economist at Investment Solutions Chris Hart said that e-tolling does not make sense because of inefficiencies, and that the persistence to use the system may well be because of individuals which may benefit from the system.

Hart said that the existing fuel level is a much simpler and more efficient way to collect money for roads. “We should not have tolls anywhere in the country. The money should come out of the fuel levy which is far more effective and far more equitable,” said Hart.

Do you think a higher fuel levy makes more sense than e-tolls?

peterson
03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Definitely No! Enough tax already, and a toll system will just mean more money and more inefficiencies.

R13...
03-05-2012, 11:47 AM
It would be nice to see the allocation of the funds collected from the fuel levy. I strongly suspect that those funds go into the rest of the tax with most of it not going toward roads.

latro
03-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Do you support E-tolls?

No

HELL NO! I live in Limpopo and am not willing to subsidise people living in Gauteng. Unless the levy will only apply to that province.

And before you flame me, consider if the tables were turned.

robt
03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Do you support E-tolls?

No

HELL NO! I live in Limpopo and am not willing to subsidise people living in Gauteng. Unless the levy will only apply to that province.

And before you flame me, consider if the tables were turned.

Okay let's turn the tables, I'm game :).

You guys use only your taxes to support Limpopo and Gauteng taxes stay in Gauteng.

A large portion of the tax in SA comes from Gauteng so I'd say we're sorted :D. We are a net distributor of wealth and our money goes out to support other provinces (not the other way around).

latro
03-05-2012, 07:08 PM

You guys use only your taxes to support Limpopo and Gauteng taxes stay in Gauteng.

A large portion of the tax in SA comes from Gauteng so I'd say we're sorted :D. We are a net distributor of wealth and our money goes out to support other provinces (not the other way around).

Thanks for pointing that out :)

Must say I've only ever heard that petrol goes up nationally, not per province. But I'm sure they're intuitive enough to work in the price like only they could.

With the price of fuel already so high you could understand my distaste of anything giving it a hike again ;)

McT
03-05-2012, 09:33 PM

This is the point that every conveniently forgets. It is said that Gauteng contributes about 60% to the GDP and yet only gains less than half of that back again.

robt
03-07-2012, 01:20 PM
This is the point that every conveniently forgets. It is said that Gauteng contributes about 60% to the GDP and yet only gains less than half of that back again.

I also heard an amount of 60%, wasn't sure so thanks for posting it.

I think this has a lot of do with the fact that we are becoming a welfare state. We have 6.3 million tax payers, 16 million people on welfare.