PDA

View Full Version : Your best and worst investments ever?

peterson
03-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I invested in Vox shares at R1.20 per shares, and only got 45c per share when they delisted. This was certainly one of my worst investments ever.

Best investment is most likely furthering my education. It paid off better than any other investment.

What were the best and worst investments you ever made?

robt
03-14-2012, 02:48 PM
I invested in Vox shares at R1.20 per shares, and only got 45c per share when they delisted. This was certainly one of my worst investments ever.

Dumbass ;).

Just kidding, I also got burnt but the investment was my friend who promised to pay me back and the return was zero.

But I also consider it my best investment because now I will never lend money to anyone. I'll give it to them but I'm not a bank and I don't give loans - a very valuable lesson learned.

LearnDaily
03-18-2012, 01:35 PM
I know what you mean. I was lucky and learned from other people about the dangers of loaning people money without any kind of security.

robt
03-19-2012, 05:16 PM
I know what you mean. I was lucky and learned from other people about the dangers of loaning people money without any kind of security.

You're wise to have learnt from watching other people - way preferable to learning it the hard way like me :).

g@dget
03-19-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm hoping my best investment would be to give my kids a proper education! At the cost these days they'll have to carry me in retirement (just kidding). Worst investment was a share in a game lodge! After trying to keep optimistic that the economy would recover for years, I had to cut my losses and sold at huge loss to stop the bleed.

McT
03-19-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm hoping my best investment would be to give my kids a proper education! At the cost these days they'll have to carry me in retirement (just kidding).

I agree. Best investment I can make is in my kids and their education and secondly into my retirement.

Space_Kriek
03-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I agree. Best investment I can make is in my kids and their education and secondly into my retirement.

That is investing into your retirement. I would hope my kids are gonna look after me and give me a nice room overlooking the ocean for all the bricks im eating now. If only they knew the crap I have to go trough to get them the education then they better look after me

robt
03-29-2012, 04:30 PM
That is investing into your retirement. I would hope my kids are gonna look after me and give me a nice room overlooking the ocean for all the bricks im eating now. If only they knew the crap I have to go trough to get them the education then they better look after me

Sorry bud but I doubt it - little critters are gonna have a tough time of it when they have kids, it's a bit of a vicious cycle.

Not sure what the answer is here but I personally wouldn't trust on the next generation to support their old folks. Things get more and more expensive and old people become a burden.

So I'm working my fingers to the bone now to ensure that financially I'm sorted come retirement.

Ryanloop
04-25-2012, 12:50 AM
By far my worst trade was buying Global Crossing about a month before they crashed. It was a good lesson for me though. I didn’t understand the company when I bought it. Just got sucked into the hype. Bad outcome financially, but it made me a better investor.

Best trade is harder. I’ve had some that I’m very proud of. Anytime I nail my thesis I’m pretty happy. That doesn’t always work out to huge returns though. The best returns I’ve ever had were purely market timing calls using options on triple leveraged ETFs. But, I wouldn’t say I’m proud of those. That’s just gambling.

Isaia
04-26-2012, 04:10 PM
I have invested in the S&P500 with the 1000 dollars and i got the 10 pips in that and this was my best investment ever and my worst investment is in the gold when i purchased than it was on the 1800 and later i sell this 1700 and this was still one of my bad trading.

McT
04-26-2012, 08:52 PM
If only they knew the crap I have to go trough to get them the education then they better look after me

So true. I think/wish the same thing when I look at my kids. Kids today are far too blasť and carefree to think about how good they get it. My education was good, but often think that with a little more money invested it could have way better. I am not ungrateful though, as I learnt good, solid lessons.

McT
04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
I have invested in the S&P500 with the 1000 dollars and i got the 10 pips in that and this was my best investment ever and my worst investment is in the gold when i purchased than it was on the 1800 and later i sell this 1700 and this was still one of my bad trading.

Never buy high. And never sell low.

Jacksons1
08-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Investments is a risky business but in the past three months i have earned a very good earning on the gold and now the price is still down so its time to grab this commodity and hold it for long term.

tatjanochka
08-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Like how education seems to be the best thing. I have two, but still struggling to get going with it...

wildguides
08-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Just don't buy them a sailing boat if they really mean they don't want to sail! My worst investment ever. The upside is I bought myself a 2 man dingy and the quality time is worth millions.

zamicro
08-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Never buy high. And never sell low.

This is a difficult one. I bought Didata at R18 and sold at R8. Was my worst. But I was lucky. It fell to something like R2.50.

I learned you need a clear exit strategy with proper stop losses. And don't try to be too greedy as well!