PDA

View Full Version : Please rate Standard Bank

Rudolph Muller
03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Please rate Standard Bank according to service levels, pricing and convenience (basically how happy you are with the bank).

Please also say how they can improve to make you a happier customer. You can post your feedback in this thread.

VegOtter
03-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Been quite satisfied with the service i have received. The addition of sending update sms's whenever money leaves your account at no cost (free) is a very nice value added service.

One thing i would recommend is to get your facilities, especially on the technology side a bit more up to date. Not only on the customer side, but internally as well. a few apps for phones wouldn't hurt.

Bearman
03-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Service levels: 4 - Neelsie Stellenbosch staff are good

Pricing: 3 - Could be better (SA banking costs are large)

Convenience: 3 - Tech side wanting, still waiting for a banking app. FNB is putting you to shame here.

rodga
03-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Ive been with you guys for a long time
20 years +
but I will be changing at the end of next month

too expensive and service is so-so
I have a personal banker that doesnt respond to any of my emails
you guys didnt even want to beat or atleast match wesbanks vehicle finance quote
so I have no reason to stick it out any longer
good bye standard bank

mujabees
03-16-2012, 03:35 PM
I pay for a freaking monthly fee which is way higher than other banks and still get charged some weird fees for credit protection on my credit card even though the pattern on my credit card is that i pay at the end of the month(i settle balance every month). The only reason i haven't left is cos my vehicles finance and accounts are with them. The sms messages is a fairly recent addition and is pathetic cos it doesn't notify in time.

Splice
03-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Will be changing banks soon. Service fees are too damn high compared to other banks. Service is mediocre.

Leftfoot
03-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Ive been with Standard Bank for 27 years....no loyalty bonuses here. My thousands of voyager miles got converted to worthless British Airways miles that expire!
As at the beginning of Feb I have been moving my 7 accounts over to FNB....2 down and 5 more to go. Cant wait to see the back of Standard Bank.
PS...I have just received my sparkling new iPad2 (yeah I know, could have waited a few weeks for iPad3) ...And im getting eBuck Steve!!!! lol!

kokaine
03-16-2012, 03:48 PM
I had an account with Standard bank and I opened a 2nd account with FNB for my own reasons. Standard bank then decided to suspend my account saying that I never updated my details. I told them I had updated my details in January already.
They had the audacity to ask me why I opened an account with FNB.

They eventually figured out that the fault was on their side and un-suspended my account again but the damage was done. I've since moved everything to FNB.

Reelix
03-16-2012, 04:02 PM
My vote of 5 is simply due to the horrific levels of service that I have seen at other banks.

*Scrolls up, and reads comments*

Maybe the Westville branch (Next to the Spar) is just like really awesome o_O

supersunbird
03-16-2012, 04:10 PM
They can send a SMS to the OTP cellphone number when they disable an account due to FICA or whatever, physical mail is not good enough if you only get your post out once a month. This is the modern age, and SMS would be cheaper too.

And they are expensive, I am using my Capitec for everything (except airtime purchases) and will soon be closing down my savings and business accounts at Standard Bank.

phiber
03-16-2012, 04:16 PM
I am very happy with the service at Standard Bank, lovely set of online products that suit my needs. happy to also pay the fees that I pay, wouldn't mind an android or iPad app as well, but their webpage works on iphones, so its not the end of the world.

Ands45
03-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Am satisfied with the service. Love my Achiever Go account. Pay set amount each month for unlimited swipes :)
Dont really use it for savings, only for chequing

MrMocs
03-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Service is good but fees are not and few perks gonna be switching as soon as i start working

faye.faye
03-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Realistically speaking, Standard Bank puts in more effort than the other banks to make their clients happy. I have been a client of theirs for a while now; they know how well or badly im doing financially month on month and yet whenever i need anything all efforts are made to fulfil my request. There has never been an occasion where i felt like i wasted a trip to the bank or walked away irritated at their service. Each and every time, good or bad news, i walked away feeling satisfied and with a new goal and plan in mind. I could never have asked for anything better from my bank. Other than great products and fancy promises, a business needs great service to keep its clients and i found that at Standard bank. I found GREAT customer care! It helps a lot that they have great products and prices too :)

drnaphtali
03-16-2012, 04:31 PM
I will be changing to FNB soon.
I got the Titanium card, with a private banger, which doesnt help. Still the same hassles and I still have to go into their office for the same problems. Not worth the R200 montly fee. For abit more, I get the same level card at FNB, plus an IPAD. (I hope better service aswell)

wheunis
03-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Bad.

Definitely a lot SB can do to serve their clients better. Especially on the digital front. Why is only FNB partnered with PayPal? SB too good to serve the interest of their customers themselves?

Cmon SB... open your eyes and learn!

nakedpeanut
03-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Left for FNB last year. Best move I've made.

waynegohl
03-16-2012, 04:51 PM
I think all banks are crooks and no bank is better or worse then the next one. Why is it that when the banks open their doors, you still have to wait 5 or 10 mins whilst the cashier changes the date on their stamp and packs the money drawer?

I tolerate Standard Bank because they gave me a credit card without having a bank account with them.

chrisc4290
03-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Awful experience a long time ago. They muddled another customer's cheque with mine and deducted R 15000 from my account which made it overdrawn. I only found out when I was "summoned" to the branch and given a dressing down by some twit still wet behind the ears. I eventually banged on the table and demanded to see the cheque I had alledgedy written. He eventually produced it and I saw immediately it was not mine, although the name was the similar (not the same). I told him this and demanded to see the branch manager. He got all flustered and tried to tell me the manager was not available, so I walked into the banking hall and shouted at the inquiries desk that this twit was committing fraud and I was going to call the police. The manager arrived in 5 seconds and wanted to know what was going on. He looked at the R15k cheque and my specimen signature and said he would sort it out, but would I please leave. I never heard another word from them, no apology, nothing. I had to wait 9 months to get a (partial) refund of the unauthorised overdraft fees and interest that had been incorrectly charged.

skimread
03-16-2012, 05:25 PM
service levels - 4 - Not bad
pricing - 2 - Not flexible enough
convenience -5 - Many ATMs, branch in each centre
overall - 3
*Note - They have a couple of dodge characters at my nearest branch. One guy especially. That branch is VERY dodge and unbanklike.

phaktza
03-16-2012, 05:34 PM
There service charges are way too high.

When changing to Titanium it was a complete balls up due to FICA, yet my personal banker didn't call to inform me so. I then received a garage card which expired after two months. Transferring beneficiaries is a nightmare.

Banking and Internet Banking have been pleasant enough, and the queues at my branch are usually short.

All in all my experience hadn't warranted me changing banks... yet.

bjoselyn
03-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Their interest is very high.

GarethC
03-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Every time I go into the bank I leave hating them more. Doing anything in the bank is an effort and queues are always long.

Elf_Lord_ZC5
03-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Standard Bank is expensive, they are way behind technologicaly, in branch service could be better, been with them 30 + years, there are no recocnition for loyalty.

Only reason I am still with them as I view the banking situation in this country as being pathetic. i.e. six of one and half a dozen of the other - no real difference between banks. Each one commits daylight robbery, just with a different "style" chocolate coating flavour and thickness, and the same rotten interior. The government is bad, the banks worse.

Pr⊕phet
03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
3 Fair (exactly as expected)

reactor_sa
03-16-2012, 08:37 PM
3/5.

Been banking with Standard for about 7years now and 2012 is the first year that banking fees haven't gone up (although I think the increases are usually in July?).
I don't feel I'm getting value for money. Even the 'Value Choices' program has the most useless deals, the service in branch isn't anything to brag about, and the credit card phoneline isn't available on Sunday's when they decide to suspend your card for no clear reason.
The only thing that seems to make Standard Bank better than the other banks is that they seem to have more ATM's than the other banks. Also the internet banking is easy to use, haven't had any complaints about that.

Overall, pretty bog standard (coincidently).

PsyCLown
03-16-2012, 10:22 PM
I have been with Standard Bank for a loooong time now. I am still very happy with them.
My GF is with FNB and that works out better for her although I would not be happy with FNB.

I have always had amazing service from them, extremely helpful.
Prices are fine, I have no issues with their prices. Its no loss of convenience to bank with them as opposed to someone else.
I can not think of anything which they can do to improve (In my opinion at least).

czc
03-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Internet banking is fine. Have 3 accounts with them and my homeloan. Only thing that annoys me and I've been there three times now is that my credit card keeps getting sent to my old address.

shubz
03-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Been with Standard Bank almost 10 years. Will however be changing banks in June. Service is pathetic, even the quality of my card is poor. I have had to change cards twice in less then a year because it cracks. Lat year I applied for vehicle finance, after four days no reply I had to call them to be told I was declined because I get paid weekly not monthly! I applied at Wesbank and was approved within 48hours. When i cancelled my overdraft fecility I received no action. Had to log a complaint on Hellopeter to get some response. Cant wait to be rid of you S Bank.

Jola
03-17-2012, 01:38 AM
Service fees are too high.

SMS's are nice but were too long in coming.

Websites pretty much only work in IE, little else, and no Apps for tablets / phones - technologically behind.

akescpt
03-17-2012, 07:17 AM
i voted fair. deliver as expected and the sms is a nice touch. i think they did that because the refunds they gave customers on fraudulent activity went through the roof. the lack of rewards on the credit cards is unacceptable. i am shopping around. why should i be losing out on ebucks and petrol paybacks? i think its pathetic that standard have not created a rewards program for their credit card customers.

orin76
03-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Been very happy with standard bank's service levels, but the fact that I still need to pay for internet banking, sms notifications etc. while other banks offer these for no additional charge is disappointing. Bank charges are also on the high side.

fred1
03-17-2012, 10:04 AM
The bank charges are ridiculous.
Paid over R400 for about a year old bank statements!
Pay a few hundred for an overdraft facility even though I haven't used it in a while.

ADRAM3L3CH
03-17-2012, 12:17 PM
I've had pretty good service from Standard bank, their Value choices club is a nice incentive, would like more tech deals from it though.

bekdik
03-17-2012, 02:28 PM
service levels steadily degrading, costs steadily increasing.

All my accounts were locked out due to fica and at no time was I warned. they only have two phone numbers, fax number, sms and email data by which they could contact me. A query to call centre, card and general, did not offer fica as a cause. I never did get an apology either.

The should realise that their current clients make up the biggest part of their future clients and that an ex client is NEVER a future client.

ABCpt
03-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Pricing is expensive, internet banking can be improved. Also been waiting about 4 years for a consultant to phone me back regarding a secondary credit card. If it was less hassle, I probably would have moved already.

Chris
03-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Service fees are too high

No rewards program like eBucks

Good internet banking though.

stoymigo
03-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Service levels are fine, I don't need to call them often so this isn't an issue for me.
Regarding pricing, not impressed and will be looking to move to another bank, I don't use their email/sms notification for paying someone any more.
Convenience: They recently implemented sms notification when you withdraw money from your account, I haven't had much hiccups with them.

UnUnOctium
03-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Great customer service. Things needed to be addressed: The time it takes to process a bond, lower charges.

Rather than try to justify price increases with reward programmes, keep it simple. Big Blue has been known for that. Also, options, some of us don't want reward programmes, we just want banking.

Markd
03-18-2012, 08:52 AM
service levels - 4

Generally reliable. I never have problems banking online, and when I do go in store the staff are knowledgeable and friendly.

pricing -3

Having banked overseas I think SB are overpriced, but still competitive in the South African landscape. I think there is definitely room for improvement though. I dont like having to pay fees to send an email payment confirmation, or to transfer money from a Market Link account to a current account!

convenience -3

Outlets seem to be in every major shopping center and even some not so major ones that I frequent. Hours are reasonable (nothing special), queues are generally not nearly as long as ABSA (!), online banking works really well (I like being able to pay traffic fines via online banking, for what its worth), and I can also use the platform for investing in equities at a reasonable rate.

lucifir
03-18-2012, 11:26 AM
They just need to look to FNB and Capitec !!!

zizebra
03-18-2012, 05:38 PM
They have sound ideas for staying in competition which is why I opened account with them.
I hate them for having staff that simply donot know why they work for them. II They claim to have secure message system, where you can send/ request securely, but each time I use the system, one reason or another is sighted and I fail to get what i requested.
I battled to open the account and I still battle to get basic services.

Revo
03-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Was with ABSA for a while and not nearly as good as Standard Bank. Great Service!

DJ...
03-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I've only ever had very good service and turnaround times with Standard Bank, with both personal and business banking. I have no reason to use any other bank...

BrendanMc
03-19-2012, 11:48 AM
They're OK. I think their rates and charges can be excessive. Also they are quite behind in terms of SMS notification. FNB had this waxed years ago. I draw money and sometimes it can be hours later when i receive my notification. So clearly it's something they have to work on

try time
03-19-2012, 01:39 PM
For a bank the size of Standard you would expect the technology side to be the best, especially at the ridiculously high charges. However the Business Online is glitchy, the EFTS system is basic (and in much need of an upgrade). Thank goodness I only deal with them through my Company, as the value for money is definitely not there.

SpYkzzz
03-19-2012, 02:53 PM
I am happy with the service i receive at Standard Bank.

Sensorei
03-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Standard Bank just need to watch FNB to see how a bank should operate. I have an account with both banks and FNB is way ahead. Banking fees with Standard are too high, EFTs from another Standard Bank account should be instant but only go through the next day usually, there is a LONG delay in payment notifications often, sms notification-pfffft catch a wake up. FNBs notification is FAST and Standard bank are just catching on now. Service: FNB > Standard.

Dreamer
03-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Monthly charges are ridiculous (FNB here i come)
They are good with the sms notifications for account activity.

Tucano
03-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Banking is OK. The home insurance service is HORRENDOUS. If you are lucky enough to get through one of the agents in the phone and log a claim, they take forever to sort things out and they seem not to follow up on what their providers do. I have an open claim for more than a month and some of the contractors haven't even contacted me. The call centre is impossible and they don't answer to emails. A real shame for the bank.

JHS7
03-19-2012, 04:01 PM
They charge a bit much per every single transaction, not to mention their montly service fees. Service wise, I had to tell the lady who helped me with my account, that I qualified for internet banking, and she still argued. I would like to try another bank, just to see what I might be missing (FNB prob from what Im reading)... Banking wise, its livable, but as for their staff, they suck.

Neural
03-19-2012, 04:23 PM
I have been banking with Standard Bank since I was a kid, for around 30 years. There service levels have delined over the last few years without a doubt (Priority Banking), and when it came time to purchase another home, the best deal they were prepared to offer was 1.25% less than another of the big four!

What a way to lose 30 years of loyalty - they weren't even prepared to talk about it. I now happily bank elsewhere.

alphabyte
03-19-2012, 05:21 PM
I have been with Standard for more years than I care to remember; over the years their banking costs have steadily increased, while their service levels have slowly declined. Today they are at the point where their service is very so-so, in fact rather disappointing, and I would not recommend them to anyone.

Blade_IV
03-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Services available are excellent
Staff always friendly and super fast
Pricing could definitely be more competitive
as well as ease of use and wheres the android app would love to see that.
I also hate the fact that they only start billing you the little service fees in the new month that's quite crappy. Other than that im a happy chappy.

moonknight
03-19-2012, 06:27 PM
I voted 2 - bad :eek:

Having said that I think they are one of our better banks. :p

Fees are too high and service is not great. :mad:

Thinking of moving over to Capitec. :cool:

daiyaan
03-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Product offering for youth could improve by offering more incentives and benefits. Could also improve by having a system whereby people can apply on-line and have their card posted to them.

Other than that, I am happy :)

jclpmd
03-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Enjoy banking with Standard Bank, excellent service at bank, internet banking is simple easy to use, no long queues, always tended to, bank manager is always involved, good security protocol and value for money unlike other two banks ive dealt with always long queues, lackluster service and dreadful experiences

Only issue is with the mobile alerts when transactions occur. I usually get an sms instantly when theres activity and then late at night I will get another sms of the transaction that already happend sometimes even 3 times an sms would come based on a single transaction that went through. I have since deactivated it.

Otherwise everything is good

howardb
03-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Service Levels: I've always had exceptional service from SB. I've been with them almost 20 years now, was previously with Nedbank and they were utterly useless, hence the change. Always quick with replies and actioning any issues (which I've really had none).

Pricing: Good value for what I use - could always be less, however my fixed monthly fee more than covers my daily transactions. My previous bank charged an arm and a leg for fees!

Convenience: Extremely convenient for my needs - 99% of all my banking is done online and SB makes it so easy to use, navigate and transact.

Even if another bank approached me with freebies and lower fees, I'm pretty sure I'd stick with Standard Bank - really happy with them!

hr7140
03-19-2012, 07:10 PM
A few months ago I opened a Standard Bank transaction account at Stellnbosch branch. First it took them approximately 10 days to open the account. When they finally opened it, the electronic payment and withdraw limits were set to R0.00, even though I had deposited funds into the account. To get this sorted out took another 2 weeks. Today, the limits are R0.00 again.

inferno
03-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Not too bad. I use them for business and they have always preformed as expected.

cbrunsdonza
03-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Standard Bank suck - wife just closed bank account, next up is the business account and mine.

Fishzn
03-19-2012, 07:49 PM
Their service is fair on certain things - their Internet banking is probably the best I've used up to this point - very well coded it seems. Their branches and ATMs are well placed, and are available most of the time.

In terms of CRM though, most of them have an attitude where they dictate terms to you - as if they're doing the service for free! Banking fees are high on business accounts - with no possibility of reprieve in any sense! They had a snotty attitude prior to the NCA - its gotten even worse now that that legislation is in place!

Your bank is supposed to work for you and figure out the best way for you to manage your finances and grow - but no with Standard you have to figure out everything before you even get there and continue to figure out everything on your own while you're with them! No forward thinking, innovative ideas or collaboration with it clients to get the most out of their finances! Not everybody is irresponsible with their finances nor are they buying tons of stuff on credit without thinking twice - yet as far as I can tell, Standard treats almost everyone exactly like that; Except those who are in the highest bracket of earners!

The only reason I still stay with them is...well I have no real reason - just too lazy to move over currently as it takes a fair bit to get all your accounts moved over. Hope to do so in the future though if things don't change!

EDIT: HOPE this frikking wins me the Samsung Galaxy - then I can finally say that my bank has done something for me without expecting my life in return!!

twiga
03-19-2012, 08:07 PM
Score level 1. Wish I could move to FNB....

onlyonek
03-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Standard Bank

Service levels - 2 out of 5 - Staff members are often uninformed, often have to go into the bank more than once to get something done write (i.e. Fica, upping internet banking limit, linking accounts). Here for example an improvement would be to tell staff, when not knowing the answer to the question asked, escalate to someone who will know, rather than taking an educated guess on the spur of the moment to try an appear knowledge-worthy.

Pricing - 4 out of 5 - not too shabby here, Achiever Go on which I am banking at the moment allows me to bank pretty much how I like. Can't necessarily think of some method of improvement.

Convenience - 3 out of 5 - Decent banking app (Android/iOS) would be great, as well as some better documentation/information services online. Internet banking is generally good. For example here having a convenient branch code lookup tool online would be good (perhaps there is one), I have always had to find this on third party sites.

adielk
03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Service levels 3 its OK and sometimes excellent
Pricing 2 very expensive especially when using other ATMs
Convenience 3 tech could improve

Considered fnb because of cheap I pads and
Want a offline budget tool integrated into my account for spending patterns and income

MightyMuffinMan
03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
service levels - 5 - Really good. IMO the best bank for a private client.
pricing - 4 - Compared to the competition Standard Bank is overpriced however this is out weighed by the value for money that one receives.
convenience - 5 - Really good online banking platform especially with the ability to link My Stan-lib Account to my Standard bank account and also the Autoshare invest solution is a brilliant idea. Anyone tried *120*2345# yet? cellphone banking doesn't get easier :) also they have the ATM's at the most convient places.

Overall 5.

Suggestions:
Have more value for money offers similar to the FNB iPad offer and adsl offer.
Work out better interest rates for customers for cars and homes (found Wesbank beat you guys 3 tomes when I was buying my car).

mradsl
03-19-2012, 08:21 PM
My mom is a standard bank employee as well as my dad. I've had an account with them since i was 7 im 19 now. My dad has had an account with standard bank since 1975. We as a family believe in the bank. Simpler better faster!! and now moving foward. The bank has only one problem at the moment share price.They are lower then most banks at the moment

timreddy
03-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Ive been banking with them for the last 27 years.. fees are quiet high.... fnb seems to be knocking on my door

DavidP
03-19-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm just waiting for FNB to have the ipad 3 then I'm jumping ship after 20 years.

Moeggesukkel
03-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Good service depends on where you find yourself within the Standard Bank hierarchy. I am a Private Banking client and the service is personal and excellent. I do however feel that Steve may have called from Standard Bank since there are a lot of services where Standard Bank can learn from FNB. The paperwork within Standard Bank is laborious and it takes a long time to get things done. They can certainly sharpen up on this.

Fire3231
03-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Very impressed with overall service and availability of help structures. Only problem would be to lower bank charges.

Zert
03-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Been with SB for many years. Got our 1st home loan through them, (First Time Buyer). No other bank could help us!!
Never had any personal unpleasant experiences.
I do think that service fees are high but no matter what bank you're with, all fees are too high!
I did hear that pre-paid power will be available in the near future. This would be great. Aslong as our municapality is catered for?? Living in the sticks has it's disadvantages like beeing the last for new things.
I hadly ever go into the branch. Everything is done online these days.
Heared that Capitec's Credit Card Machines are more affordable and fees are way less.
FNB's iPad's sound nice !!??
I'll see!! After doing some comparisons.

colo
03-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Pros:
-----
Fairly low bank charges and good student bank account (even when you're not a student any more)
Really good online share trading service and share trading playpen

Cons:
-----
Charging 35 cents (or something like that) for a confirmation email when you pay a beneficiary on online banking. Seriously, guys? It costs you nothing to send an email.
SMS you before they call you, saying you can reply "Opt out" to hear no more about the offer they'll call you about. If you opt out, they still call.

LFX
03-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Service levels - 4 - generally good service at branches... lots of 'out of order' atms though

Pricing - 0 - they are ****ing thieves... bank charges are astronomical... I've considered moving to capitec but the quees at their branches look like a nightmare

convenience - 4 - internet banking makes life really easy

moegoe
03-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Great customer experience. Friendly, efficient and effective!
I have to add:
There's nothing exciting about Standard Bank... the only reason why I have an account with them is because I accepted a job offer at the time and was forced to switch banks.
Was initially with FNB and since I've left Standard Bank as an employer, I will move back to FNB.
FNB does it right, they have a comprehensive internet banking system, it's "simpler, better, faster" hehehehe
Having said that, Standard Bank's internet banking platform is slow, irresponsive and buggy at most times.

Centronix
03-19-2012, 11:10 PM
High banking fees. My banker is ok but the other people he escalates to when I need stuff done, not helpful at all. Bye Steve, I'm moving to FNB

pope24
03-20-2012, 07:56 AM
I have been a Standard Bank Customer on and off for close to 30 years.

Service levels: The branch staff are helpful and I really have no problems with this. Both the Jan Smuts Branch and the Northcliff branch have given me good service over the years but sadly this is not what the face of modern banking is. You now cannot call your branch directly you have to call a contact centre and they get the branch to call you back, this is annoying and wastes my time.
Secondly for people like us (online junkies) we really want more self service not less, but this is about convienience not service.

Pricing: I pay R220 as a fixed fee for the Prestige Plus account and as far as I can make out the equivalent fee on an equivilant account at FNB is R110. Its hard to feel good about your bank when they are blatantly ripping you off.

Convenience: No smartphone app (I have been wanting this since I had an iPhone, long before FNB launched their app). Email me my statements for gods sake, you card division can do it so why can't the rest of the fricking bank.

Ro3lof
03-20-2012, 08:14 AM
I have been with Standard bank for over 10 years and my experiences with them have been mostly good. I always receive good service when I go into a branch. I do all my banking via the Internet, but recently started using cellphone banking as it is quicker and easier. I just wish Standard bank would develop an application we can download whereby I can log onto cellphone banking. I am tired of always having to dail *120*2345# to log on. Come on man, FNB has one!

nicvon
03-20-2012, 08:19 AM
I receive nothing but bad service from Standard Bank..... I upgraded my account to Titanium and still I don't get a response from my "Personal Banker".... Then when I spoke to someone at Private Banking, I was given a condescending, "Well we only really look at engineers, lawyers etc... " So quite bad on the whole I would say.

On the plus side, their internet banking works very well and when I am in the branch the service isn't too bad (If I don't have to wait in a long queue EVERY time.) I'll definitly be considering my options going forward... Steve?

pope24
03-20-2012, 08:25 AM
I have used cellphone banking but it feels so archaic to me. I don't know what it is like on a non-iphone but on the iphone it involved lots of switching to number mode to send replies and it is two steps too many for me, especially if the account I want is not on the first screen.

Also I have no problems with their internet banking, I just get the feeling that they are being left behind in the technology race and when ATMs and Internet banking were all the rage I had the feeling the they were ahead of the curve.

Not that I feel that Absa or Nedbank are any better but FNB has done a really good job of raising our expectations.

Niren_M
03-20-2012, 08:32 AM
No issues with Std Bank, though it would be encouraging if they can take the lead in the technology side of banking once again.

garthgza
03-20-2012, 08:33 AM
I have been with Standard Bank since my first bank account 15 years ago. Thier pricing and products are fair but they don't seem to inovate in anyway to the end customer.

A$H
03-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Good service, meets all my needs. But Standard bank needs to be more innovative, they need to offer things other banks don't. FNB has a reward program, discounts for tablets etc. - that's innovation, offering services that benefit the customers, If customers use these added services, they are less likely to switch banks.

Come on Standard Bank.....

WRB
03-20-2012, 08:34 AM
I've been with Standard Bank for about 7 years now.

Service: Had a few problems a few years back with incorrect details on my profile but got that sorted out and ever since I've had excellent service in all channels (branch, internet, telephone, etc.). I get almost instant responses from my Prestige banker and the call centre agents usually phone me back within an hour if I'm holding too long.

Pricing: On the expensive side, but cheaper than Absa and not worth the savings at FNB for the horrendous service.

Convenience: Single point of contact for me and easy to get hold of any department if I need to. No app, but other than that no complaints.

aminfri
03-20-2012, 08:45 AM
good thing is they are everywhere, lots of branches. the rest is nothing to write home about really. fair service. paypal? anyone?

ChocolateBadger
03-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Their website needs a serious upgrade and their banking charges are too high when compared to Banks such as FNB. I'm just waiting till next month to see what their big surprise is but if it is not an app then FNB here I come.

flamtech
03-20-2012, 09:12 AM
I have a bank account with Standard for 23 years.

I have opened a savings acc with FNB to handle the PayPal payments that I receive from my website.

I have opened a creditcard with FNB so that I can receive ebucks that I can spend on goodies.

Next in line is my check account to be moved to FNB so that I can get an iPad!!

Standardbank how about you give me an interest free loan for 24 months so that I can buy an iPad?

Standardbank how about only charging me a fee when I am actually using my overdraft acc?

Standardbank, why cant I phone Elsa direct at my branch anymore? She knows my history and it takes a two seconds to get an answer. Instead I have to phone a national number where they want to confirm all your details to get a simple answer.

goocreations
03-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Standard Bank should start getting Paypal

gmathews
03-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Service decent, leeching the crap out of my monthly income - gives an overall score of 3.

Peterpanmalini
03-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Service levels: 4 - Much better than other banks

Pricing: 3 - Lots of little costs which seem to mean nothing

Convenience: 4 - The online banking is awesome. I never have to go into a branch.

I like the new look of the branches, less fancy more efficiency. All banks should spend less on fancy graphics and couches and passthe savings onto their customers.

WallStreetKing
03-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Standard Bank customer services really needs to improve, My my banking charges is a bit expensive but at the end of the day, they produce a good service.It would be great if they improve their services with a 24 hour help line and a Smartphone App would be great.

Oliver
03-20-2012, 09:36 AM
I have already rated ABSA and FNB for my personal banking. I am rating Standard Bank for my Business Banking

Service levels - Disgusting.

Pricing - They milk you for every rand they can get from you.

Convenience - Internet banking is ok. Nothing else convenient about SB.

They have plenty of room to improve. Start by charging decent fees and improving customer service.

charlatan
03-20-2012, 09:45 AM
1) Would be great if "Card Division" was actually part of the same bank... sick of getting told to phone a different number every time I need help.
2) I've given up asking them not to post me a printed statement.
3) An Android app and some personal budgeting / reporting software a la Mint, etc. would be nice...

blankmastermind
03-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Service has gone to hell over the last few years. I will be changing to FNB , already spoke to the bank they told me exactly what needs to be done and how they would it. Just getting some stuff in order before I change. As for ABSA they have no skin on their noses. Everyone that banks with them should close their accounts and teach those twits at Barclays a lesson.

Raptor2022
03-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Been with Standard bank since I was born really.

Standard bank could become better by focusing a bit more on their online banking. Like allowing ordering of new cards/changing monthly withdrawal limits etc to be done online instead of having to send a secure message or actually going in to the bank.

Convenience is becoming key with banks and I think standard bank needs to start looking in to it.

K3NS31
03-20-2012, 10:13 AM
I rated Fair, exactly as I expected; but it must be noted, I don't expect much from banks.
Seriously considering changing over to FNB soon. Heard good things about them

MoeCorly
03-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Charges are too high..Pathetic service.Dread going into the bank.No loyalties on credit cards.Absolutely crap

auriga1000
03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
rubbish.
If I could change my business accounts easily, i would have changed long ago. Just using them because they are the closest to me. can't even call my branch on the phone, gets routed to a central office and then back to branch.
Charging for cheque deposits now as well unless i physically deposit via an ATM. Have my own so called private banking advisor that has not called me once since he visited 6 months ago with empty promises.

JonD
03-20-2012, 10:37 AM
As a varsity student with a student account I've been quite happy with Standard Bank but when I will inevitably need to upgrade I'm concerned about the relatively high account and transaction fees compared to say FNB.

Occludude
03-20-2012, 11:08 AM
My bond and personal accounts are with SBSA. What I would like to see is my bank being more innovative when it comes to the application of technology. FNB stands out from the crowd in this area. The tablet deals they offer had me seriously considering relocating my accounts.

Carrybag
03-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Must say that I am quite satisfied with the services provided by Standard bank in the past few years I've been with them. I do think that some more aspects of our banking life could still be digitized. Some things should be possible to be authorised online. Thereby allowing one to increase limits etc online instead of having to struggle into a branch :)

tpm
03-20-2012, 12:39 PM
I get an SMS for activity on the Internet and Garage card but not my Mastercard, which is the important one.
They send one's balance with each SMS. This should be an option. Imagine if one is hijacked and the criminals see your balance (especially if it is a large amount !)

Gathu
03-20-2012, 01:05 PM
I've been a Standard Bank customer since 1994. In general the staff inside the bank has been friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, on the few occasions I see the inside of one. Unlike some of the other commentators, I seem to receive my SMS's as soon as the transaction occurs (MTN sms), so no complaints there.
Their website could be better but have improved somewhat from where they started, although I can't honestly say I have ever used anyone else's to compare. I can do what I want to do, so not too bad.
One annoyance I have is the fact that I haven't lived for the past ten years in the town I have to list as my bank branch, mostly due to the inconvenience of switching over.

saphiresword
03-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Though a bit of a let down on the tech side they make nice TV ads!

naids
03-21-2012, 08:47 AM
I have probably been with them for 10years but there has been no innovation in all that time. Will probably be changing this year...

sarak
03-22-2012, 08:50 AM
I've been with Standard Bank for about 20 years. I've had problems with them over the years but they got resolved eventually-if not via the Customer Service channel then by emailing Jacko and the people at the top. (It shouldn't have to come to that though.) I like the rebate option on personal accounts where you don't pay bank charges if you have a minimum balance in your account. I don't like being charged for Internet Banking though -where other banks offer it for free.

mobilescan
03-22-2012, 12:59 PM
service ok costs high

morganc
03-22-2012, 01:12 PM
I rated them fair - exactly as expected. No innovation. I'm a frequent user of internet banking - it has improved over the years but is still pretty clunky. I have a Titanium account, but seriously considering switching to FNB after 20 years with Std Bank.

gnomez
03-22-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't understand Standard Bank's modus operandi though.... their service level is 'good' but their offerings always lack allot of everything :-/ especially their vehicle finance offers.

Mouse
03-22-2012, 01:19 PM
The tech side of things is dismal. we need a phone app, and better searching/sorting on the internet banking site.
A deal for iPads etc similar to what FNB is doing would also be welcome.

J_S
03-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Service fees are just too high.

Also nice to have the sms function when you withdraw money. Just pointless when you sometimes get the sms a couple hours later.

Rainman
03-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Been with them a number of years and compared to what my partner uses (FNB) they've got a long way to go in terms of price and offering. They are far too expensive and I am considering moving coz with FNB I would save R 1200 a year in bank charges alone. Service is excellent so cannot fault them there. Online banking and cellphone banking works as expected. The new SMS feature is a vast improvement. Would be nice to have a smartphone app like FNB.

dangerdave
03-22-2012, 03:25 PM
I love Standard Bank. Been with them for years now.

Love the SMS feature and the online banking. Easy user friendly.

poenie123
03-22-2012, 03:26 PM
I have mixed feelings towards Standard Bank.

Positives: Appreciate that they finally started sending sms's notifying the account holder of transactions on the account, as well as notifying the account holder of any logging in taking place on internet banking. I'm on a student achiever account, which means low banking cost, which I love.

Negatives: Recently I have had some problems extracting money from certrain Standard Bank machines, which resulted in me having to extract money from other bank's ATMs. Another problem I experienced was during a trip to USA, where three people had different Standard Bank account, all whom notified Standard Bank of international travels. Yet on our arrival, only one of the three card worked.

francoisvv77
03-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Had no problem in getting my house load approved at 100% with a good prime -1 intrest rate. Bank charges could be less, compared to other banks, but I have been with them since 1998, so did not have any bad experience that made me want to leave, so I'm happy!

DibyDin
03-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Service: 4 - One of the reasons i still have not switched, besides the constant need to do.
Pricing: 2 - Primary reason why am contemplating moving next door, but generally all our banks seem to be ripping us off.
Convenience: 3 - Its acceptable

gadnex
03-22-2012, 03:36 PM
It is really hard for me to rate my bank. I haven't had any bad experiences in a long time, but the last time I did have an issue it was not a good customer service experience.

One good thing recently is the introduction of SMS messages regarding any account activity. I really like this, but I think most of the other banks had this well before Standard Bank.

Jase
03-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Since I have banked with them for years I'll vote for them and rate them.

Service has been a 4 for me based on: Convenience, Forex, Personal Banker.
Fees: 2 - 3 as they are not cheap at all.

Glen Smith
03-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Standard Bank - No other bank can touch them when it comes to Service

geezer
03-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Been with them since 1980. Moved briefly in 1983 (< 2 months) to the old Trust Bank. When I wanted to withdraw money, I was told "insufficient funds", and that on a savings account! Moved back to Standard Bank, and will move again when I feel that they are shafting me. A bank has one chance with me, then I am gone. My cheque account is with them, personal loan, vehicle finance as well as my home loan.

zoner
03-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Rating: 3

Bank fees are still to high.
Customer service is still an issue at times.

gkisela
03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Pinelands branch customer service is amazing. Always friendly, never had a problem.

You need to look after your ATM's more. I've experienced faulty ATM's far too often & at inconvenient times.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!

Donald Bradbury
03-22-2012, 05:37 PM
rating 2

I use FNB and Standard.

Standard have very poor service levels, coupled with a poor attitude towards the customer. They do not go the extra millimeter, yet alone mile.

The internet service is ok, functional, but nothing to brag about.

No mobile app.

The business application is tedious and outdated. Also forces you to change a password every month, which is a known bad security practice, as it also wont allow you to use a past 24 passwords. A client tends to use sequential numbers, which is why it is insecure. If you forget the password, expect to pay in the region of R300 to reset, with admin work.

PPJ
03-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Got an SMS at 03h30 from SBSA telling me about a deposit made 09h00 the previous day :confused:. I never subscribed to the SMS service??? Why would I want to know about a deposit while I am asleep, thats just plain pathetic. It seems SBSA finally try to get "In Contact" with FNB :o that had this service for years. SBSA is maar agter die tyd!! Except with their rip off prices.

And do not tell me Capitec is not going to sustain their busniness, like you tried to tell me the other day, at this stage of the game Capitec is showing that it can be done for a fraction of the prices you charge for the same market segment.

Interest on my 32 day notice account with SBSA 2.75% Interest on my savings transactional account with Capitec for the same amount of money 6%

Go figure.....

entrepr
03-22-2012, 06:33 PM
All fine on service and pricing except for one exasperating issue: I always have problems getting new cards delivered. It's happened 5x now but it means I'm paying a lot for the (pvt banking) experience which I'm not getting.

Keigo
03-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Good service from Standard Bank so far. Service fee is all the same compare to other banks, you can only pay...

Hoping they can give offer such as FNB eBucks or Nebbank Reward. Value Choice Club offer is really useless, not really cheap and you need to subscribe before you can buy... it sucks...

The insurance things... REALLY!!! STOP CALLING ME FOR INSURANCE, LIFE INSURANCE, CREDIT CARD INSURANCE!!! I DON'T NEED YOUR INSURANCE... :(

mcmdebeer
03-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Service levels: 3 - The cashiers are friendly, but I feel when I complained about very high fees to print old statements I got nowhere and staff did not read my emails at all, and responses were not good on my queries sent through. And I've been trying for 2 years now to get my statements in English and not Afrikaans...to no avail.

Pricing: 3 - I know Standard Bank is not giving me the best deal here...if it didn't feel like such a mess to move your bank, I would have done it. They can definitely improve here...especially as we saw in an article quite recently that Capitec offers very good rates at the moment.

Convenience: 3 - ATMs seem to be more than other banks, so a plus there and online banking is straight-forward...however, they need to improve beneficiary system as I just had it this week that I couldn't add Stellenbosch Traffic Dept (after the Pay-Fine did not list my fine) and when I tried to add it I got referred back to the Pay-Fine page, but again I could not pay it as my fine was not showing there. So I had to drive into town to deposit the fine's money...not convenient.

bitesize
03-22-2012, 11:42 PM
At the beginning, some 10 years ago STD Bank was the cheapest when it came to fees. But now I am looking at other banks. I have also had a few problems each time I had to collect my Credit Card as the branch and its connecting branch couldn't find my card, both times. One other problem was that I had signed papers as power of attorney in handling my grandmother's banking affairs and when the time came to close the account (due to my grandmother passing) I was told that the papers never existed. So my signature on a piece of paper is lying somewhere. Incidentally, from the time that the papers were signed up until 4 months later I had an issue with withdrawing from my account where my signature was required, this after 10 years of not having a problem. Sorry but I don't rate STD Bank with enthusiasm.

McGuywer
03-23-2012, 08:04 AM

I have had several problems with my new card.
Send several emails to Standard Bank but only two were replied.
Phoned them, promising me to phone me back but no phone call... Very dissapointed with SB.

panayi
03-23-2012, 08:05 AM
I know there are better offerings, but just too much hassle to change banks. and never mind the lower interest rates that cannot be repeated with business post 2008.....

FirewallSA
03-23-2012, 08:33 AM
I don't do normal banking with Standard Bank, but I have an Edcon Credit Card which is effectively a standard bank credit card.

That said, the one nice thing about them is that their access to internet banking is free evan though I do not like the layout much.
Never really used it for anything else though.

Ron|n
03-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Service levels: 8 always helpful when I have needed assistance.

Pricing: 5 not too exorbitant but then again I am not that familiar with it's competitors.

Convenience: 8 internet banking works well and I never have to hunt for an ATM. Though would be to have an app for my Android.

SabreWolfy
03-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Always have difficulty contacting the right person to follow-up on anything and still waiting for a call back... :(

Digital_Maverick
03-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Please rate Standard Bank according to service levels, pricing and convenience (basically how happy you are with the bank).

Please also say how they can improve to make you a happier customer. You can post your feedback in this thread.
I still feel safe with standard. i feel fnb has done a better branding job. and i feel keeping Jaco Maree a fat double chinned middle aged man at the helm is proving disadvantageous. younger leaders are needed.

Eppi
03-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Me being a student now, i've always been with Standard Bank. Their service is as expected but I would like to see them go the extra mile for their customers. Star off by lowering bank fees. Lifes tough at the moment. Lets go.

Partisan
03-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Convenience I would Rate as a 5 because of the fact that in every major hub there is a branch where I can do transactions as well as a nice amount of ATM's. Service I would rate as a 5 as well. So far I only had to do business with the Castle Walk branch, but so far they have helped me with all the queries I had in a fast, efficient and friendly manner.

Pricing unfortunately is a 3. While all the above mentioned is nice and such, the pricing really puts me off. As a person who has been with Standard Bank for at least 10 Years, I would expect the prices to drop somewhat or at least remain at a relatively stable level. But every time I get my statements at the end of the month and count up all the charges, I get quite a decent shock about the amount that has been charged.

Other than the pricing I could say that Standard Bank is a fairly decent bank. The only actual change I would suggest is the pricing, but otherwise everything else is fine, and I will still stay with the bank for many years to come.

Davidish
03-24-2012, 07:08 PM

I have been banking with Standard Bank since I first got a bank account.

Service Levels: 2

I once waiting more than 3 weeks longer than I was told to receive my new Student Achiever account cheque card after multiple trips to the Centurion branch (after being told that the card had arrived).

I would suggest Standard Bank improve their card delivery/ administration situation since this is unacceptable.

Pricing: 3

Although I have never paid attention to the prices I paid for bank charges (I don't use my account often), I understand that other banks (FNB) provide lower prices with added benefits that Standard Bank does not offer. As i move from the student life into the working world, these conveniences and prices will begin to matter.

Higher prices usually mean better quality or more quantity... to this end Stand Bank should either offer more free transactions or offer more features than competitors.

Convenience: 4

Internet banking has always been a breeze which has helped me in a variety of situations. Also, with the free sms feature on account activity I am able to better keep track of my spending.

However, competitors go one step further by offering banking apps that give extra convenience that is greatly welcomed for a tech savvy individual. Standard Bank needs to up their game and get into the app market that trumps competitors.

Although I will be staying with Standard Bank, I can't say it will stay that way once I enter the business environment.

03-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Service levels:
I am a Prestige banking client, so it is a bit easier for me to use SB's services.

Pricing:
My only issue is that I wish that the fees were lower. But Nedbank contacted me a few months ago to try to convince me to switch to Nedbank for my main account, and their pricing for the same option was higher.

Convenience:
See above re Prestige. I call the designated call centre for everything, and it's handled immediately or they call me back if need be. No endless waits, no queues, no need to sign any documents.

nanand13
03-26-2012, 11:43 PM
I am very happy with Standard Bank service in general. Overall I think I get good value for what I pay for in service fees every month.
I do think that they should be offering more services just as FNB with their smartphone and tablet offerings

Mk786
03-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Wonderful service! I am an Ex-FNB banker and I have never regretted moving over to STD Bank. A loyalty program with points that don't expire would be nice though.. something like ebucks.

Billybee
04-25-2012, 11:30 AM
I have been with Standard Bank for 30 years. I have had no reason to once consider an alternative. Whilst banks carry its fair share of frustation, Standard Bank has somehow managed to accomodate me during all my interactions with a good level of professionalism.