PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Alan Knott-Craig will fix Cell C?

McT
03-29-2012, 06:43 PM
As this is a business technology site and forum, this is not a thread to post your likes or dislikes about Cell C ... unless it is relevant to your comment. Please respect this request.

The question is taken directly from the current poll question in Business Tech (http://businesstech.co.za/news/).

My question is this; what is wrong in the business of Cell C that needs to be fixed?

I was under impression that under the guidance of the their previous CEO, they were making in reducing their debt, had some innovative ideas and were generally making progress. Am I under the wrong impression? So I haven't voted in the poll yet, because if I say "no" or "yes" it would be with my question in mind.

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts :)

Space_Kriek
03-30-2012, 02:13 PM
I agree with you McT. I also saw that Cell C was making good ground in the field. If you look at the level of service and the amount of shops they have now compared to 3 years ago then I would say that they are almost on par with the other two giants (MTN & Vodacom).

Not only did they move away from roaming on the others network but they are also building their own network.

I think Alan Knott-Craig has too much time and money on his hands and just want a finger in the pie.

Rudolph Muller
03-30-2012, 02:27 PM
The problem is that Cell C is struggling financially. They may be offering well prices services, but if a company is not making money there are problems.

This is what Knott-Craig will address. A larger user base is needed, so one can still expect well prices services I expect.

McT
03-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Thank you, Rudolph. I was under the impression they were starting to make headway in reducing their debt, especially after they sold their towers.

robt
04-02-2012, 03:41 PM
I also heard that they weren't making money. Although their packages are very attractive it's not helping them reduce their debt.

It's not an easy task but if anyone can do it I think it's Knott-Craig Snr. He's got great experience and contacts (read: watch out Vodacom he's coming for your skilled staff :D).

I think the question that should be asked first - is it possible to pry away market share from MTN and Vodacom to give Cell C 25% share of the market?

If it's possible then I think he can do it.

McT
04-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Ultimately I voted "no". My greatest wish for Cell C is that they cream VC and MTN. I would love a 3rd alternative whose presence in the market is significant. But so far all AKC has down is talk. So for the time being I hope.

peterson
04-04-2012, 10:19 AM
I think Alan Knott-Craig can definitely have an impact. He has great contacts, and knows what works and what does not. I think MTN and Vodacom are concerned.

Dragon_Void
04-04-2012, 10:34 AM
I think Alan Knott-Craig can definitely have an impact. He has great contacts, and knows what works and what does not. I think MTN and Vodacom are concerned.
Lets just remember, he has been out of the game for a while now, so there is no way of knowing yet. MY vote is also No, simply, because not even a 1Billion usd donation from Bill Gates would get them out of the red, as they won't invest wisely.

robt
04-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Lets just remember, he has been out of the game for a while now, .

That may actually be a good thing.

Everyone is doing things the same way that they've always done it. I'm keen to see if he can shake things up. I think the industry needs it.

I'm also keeping an eye on John Holdsworth - he's also threatening to shake up the market :D. And he's a real maverick so I think he can do it.

McT
04-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Lets just remember, he has been out of the game for a while now, so there is no way of knowing yet. MY vote is also No, simply, because not even a 1Billion usd donation from Bill Gates would get them out of the red, as they won't invest wisely.

Ouch! That gotta hurt! :eek:

McT
04-04-2012, 06:54 PM
That may actually be a good thing.

Everyone is doing things the same way that they've always done it. I'm keen to see if he can shake things up. I think the industry needs it.

I'm also keeping an eye on John Holdsworth - he's also threatening to shake up the market :D. And he's a real maverick so I think he can do it.

There is huge potential from a player to shake up the industry. Just requires something new, unorthodox. Perhaps AKC has had plenty of time to think about how he would have done it if he had another swing at it.

peterson
04-11-2012, 11:26 AM
There is huge potential from a player to shake up the industry. Just requires something new, unorthodox. Perhaps AKC has had plenty of time to think about how he would have done it if he had another swing at it.I think AKC can shake things up ... He has the freedom to change things at Cell C, and he has to do things differently. To get 25 percent market share will be tough, so I expect a few cool changes at Cell C.

robt
04-11-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm really hoping he'll shake things up because MTN and Vodacom are becoming a little too laid back.

McT
04-11-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm really hoping he'll shake things up because MTN and Vodacom are becoming a little too laid back.

100% agreed.

roguemat
05-30-2012, 04:57 PM

With their new call rates (local and international), I think you are getting your wish answered :)