PDA

View Full Version : ADSL for business use

peterson
02-03-2012, 07:06 AM
We are currently using a 100GB Afrihost account for our business. Many ISPs are however offering ‘business’ ADSL accounts.

Is there is real difference between the consumer and business ADSL account? Does anyone have experience with whether it is worth it to pay more?

ChilliGirl
02-03-2012, 08:43 AM
VERY often ISP do this:

During the day their business accounts enjoy prefered ADSL traffic accross many/most ports than personal account clients.
They often also give preference to repairs on business accounts vs personal.

What (if you don't mind sharing) do you pay for your 100GB?
I know Afrihost also offers business uncapped, which could suit your needs better than your 100GB...

robt
02-03-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm looking at MWEB Businesses packages and some of them look quite competitive. Anyone using one of these accounts? What's it like?

mercurial
02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
We are currently using a 100GB Afrihost account for our business. Many ISPs are however offering ‘business’ ADSL accounts.

Is there is real difference between the consumer and business ADSL account? Does anyone have experience with whether it is worth it to pay more?

Basically you don't get any restrictions on speed. Normal people's traffic is shaped during the day, meaning, they don't get full speed (like Youtube), except for browsing (you get full speed). This is done so that businesses get the priority (full speed).

Is it worth it to pay more? Well, that depends on the nature of your business. Some business can live off a normal ADSL package, while others can't.

ChilliGirl
02-03-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm looking at MWEB Businesses packages and some of them look quite competitive. Anyone using one of these accounts? What's it like?

For my purposes I use a personal unshaped account. I don't need that much data so I have not tried any of the business or personal uncapped accounts

mercurial
02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
For my purposes I use a personal unshaped account. I don't need that much data so I have not tried any of the business or personal uncapped accounts

You have your own business?

purpleonlineadmin
02-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Yep like everyone has already pointed out, an unshaped account is the biggest benefit depending on which ISP you on. I'm not too sure on the support side of things as I have been with MWEB and most of my support I go through Mweb_Guy on twitter. No hassles, takes a tad bit longer i think than a support call, but its never serious emergencies. Anyone have feedback on the support services of these business accounts? Hopefully I'll never have to find out later.

McGuywer
02-06-2012, 08:14 AM
VERY often ISP do this:

During the day their business accounts enjoy prefered ADSL traffic accross many/most ports than personal account clients.
They often also give preference to repairs on business accounts vs personal.

What (if you don't mind sharing) do you pay for your 100GB?
I know Afrihost also offers business uncapped, which could suit your needs better than your 100GB...

This.

And how much data do you use monthly?

ngadao08
02-07-2012, 07:46 AM
I think with business accounts you are more prioritised over normal residential ADSL and you get a number of static IP addresses and i think with a business ADSL, you can use it as bandwidth for your own website that you may host with your own hardware.

SomeoneEls
02-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Isp's usually have different priority levels for different accounts. So if something goes wrong and limited bandwidth is available consumer get cut off first etc....

If it's worth it really depends how reliant your business is on the internet, and what you use it for.
If you have an email server locally or your business stops if you're losing money if you're not online get a business account