Facebook   Twitter    e-mail newsletter    RSS Feed    iPhone and iPad App     Android App     BlackBerry App    

RIM gets awarded patent for fuel cell on mobile device

RIM Fuel Cell Patent

In addition to the recent pattern tap to unlock patent that RIM was just received, they have also been awarded a patent for having a fuel cell on a mobile device.

While many companies have tried recently to add wireless charging options to devices, RIM has been seeking this patent since 2009 when it was initially filed. The idea behind this would be that devices with physical keyboards could lay a fuel cell behind the keyboard and in front of the circuit board and would have a membrane with one physical contact that would allow charging on the go.

A mobile device having: a keyboard; a printed circuit board having at least one contact responsive to the keyboard; and a fuel cell assembly having: a fuel cell located between the keyboard and the printed circuit board, the fuel cell having a membrane and at least one aperture corresponding with the at least one contact; a tank adapted to store a fuel for the fuel cell; and piping connecting the tank with the fuel cell, where the fuel cell ventilates through the keyboard.

Alternatively, the fuel cell acts as the printed circuit board and at least one contact for the keyboard is printed onto the fuel cell.

Source

Something tells me this might be exactly what RIM needs to get back in the game. Should it succeed that is.

Quote Originally Posted by latro View Post
    Something tells me this might be exactly what RIM needs to get back in the game. Should it succeed that is.
    Even if I am not a Blackberry fan (my wife is), we need competition, so I agree.

RIM investing in amazing-sounding but ultimately fruitless tech? Say it ain't so.

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    RIM investing in amazing-sounding but ultimately fruitless tech? Say it ain't so.
    For their sake I hope it is a good investment.

Quote Originally Posted by McT View Post
    For their sake I hope it is a good investment.
    If it works out then it's a game changer for them. Phones/devices with fuel cells could go for weeks. Imagine a Playbook that could take you for 2 weeks on one charge. But fuel cells have been a phantasm for a long time now - nobody gets the tech right.

I also hope it works out for them - they need something to differentiate them in the market and lift them above their competitors.