Warren Buffett, the American business magnate, entrepreneur, and philanthropist is widely considered the most successful investor of his time.
Forbes put his wealth at approximately $58.5 billion, making him the world’s fourth richest man, with investments including ketchup maker H.J. Heinz, and his company Berkshire Hathaway being the largest shareholder in Coca-Cola at 8.9%, or a 400 million shares.
BusinessTech shares 11 quotes on investing as spoken by Buffett over his illustrious career.
- “It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you’ll do things differently.”
- “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.”
- “Risk comes from not knowing what you’re doing.”
- “In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield.”
- “It’s far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price.”
- “Time is the friend of the wonderful company, the enemy of the mediocre.”
- “Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing.”
- “Only buy something that you’d be perfectly happy to hold if the market shut down for 10 years.”
- “Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1.”
- “We believe that according the name ‘investors’ to institutions that trade actively is like calling someone who repeatedly engages in one-night stands a ‘romantic.’”
- “Our favorite holding period is forever.”