The Congress of SA Trade Unions has vowed to press ahead with a strike against toll fees in Gauteng, despite Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan announcing lower tariffs in his budget speech on Wednesday.
“We are not cash cows that can be held up on behalf of foreigners who want to make money off us by using our public goods,” Cosatu general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi told SABC news.
He was responding to Gordhan’s announcement that a special R5.8 billion appropriation had been included in the 2011/12 budget to ease the toll burden in Gauteng.
The new fees would see drivers of ordinary vehicles pay 30 cents a kilometre, instead of 66 cents as originally planned. Vavi said this was not good enough.
“The strike continues on the 7th of March and we probably will have another strike by the 30th of April, the day that he [Gordhan] says they will start introducing or enforcing this e-toll gate in Gauteng. We will not compromise.”