MTN Business announced on Tuesday the complete enhancement of its flagship Gallo Manor data centre, an investment totalling R80 million.
MTN Business says it looked at technologies surrounding cloud computing, virtualization and covergence and the way in which these impact businesses as motivation for the investment.
“A substantial upgrade investment into Gallo Manor was a key objective of ours in 2011, to ensure our customers can take full and immediate advantage of technology innovation. Therefore, given the critical nature of this data centre, we chose to undertake a complete live refresh,” said Angela Gahagan-Thomson, Managing Executive at MTN Business.
The data centre’s ‘basic’ investment of R50 million was spent to gear the centre to be the flagship facility for hosting and cloud services for MTN Business.
The upgraded facility is designed to serve as a “technological launch-pad” for the company’s value-added services, while also reaping the benefits of more modern cost-effective maintanence, and “greener” functionality.
From a technical standpoint, the data centre got the following upgrades:
- The centre has expanded to 2000 square metres, with 500 square metres reserved for further expansion;
- An additional redundant diesel generator set has been installed, should the entire feeder grid fail for an extended period of time;
- Racks are being fed power from 2(N+1) UPS sets, with sufficient battery backup.;
- Enhancements to the power and cooling redundancies and efficiencies – replacement of the old chillers plant with new cooling towers;
- The new system has a 24 hour monitoring station that includes new CCTV and access control monitoring;
- Upgrades to A and B feeds across the whole data centre;
- A new fire protection system has been put into place;
- A new staging area has been added to the facility;
- And on the look and feel side of things, the reception has been upgraded and refurbished.
“This enhanced Gallo Manor facility will provide our enterprise customers with a fully Opex Pay-per use Model, 24/7 managed hosting environment with specific power and data usage efficiencies management capabilities and of course, all this backed by a highly acclaimed customer service excellence experience,” concluded Gahagan-Thomson.