President Jacob Zuma has sent letters reprimanding three officials for their role in the Nkandla saga, as ordered by the Constitutional Court.
Zuma sent letters to public works minister, Thulas Nxesi, a former minister in the same department, Geof Doidge, and former police minister, Nathi Mthethwa.
Work is continuing to implement the remedial action, presidency said in a statement on Friday- however, it made no mention of what action was being taken against the officials, if any.
“The payment of a reasonable percentage of the cost of the measures will be done after the National Treasury has made a determination. The National Treasury is currently seized with the matter,” it said.
The Constitutional Court ruled last month that Zuma was liable to pay for some of the upgrades to his Nkandla homestead, which came to over R246 million, paid for the by the taxpayer.
The court ruled that the president and the National Assembly had violated the Constitution when it disregarded the Public Protector’s report in to the matter, instead rubber-stamping a SAPS report absolving the president of any wrong-doing.
Over 100 ANC MPs signed off on the report.
Following the court’s ruling opposition parties and even ANC stalwarts called for the president to step down. The president apologized to the nation, saying he took a “different approach” to the matter, which proved to be wrong.
The ANC accepted his apology and said that people were overreacting to the matter, and that it was not a “serious” violation that warranted a presidential recall.