The Democratic Alliance is expected to go to court in a bid to oust Dudu Myeni from SAA, following her re-appointment as chairwoman earlier this week.
According to the Sunday Times, the political party wants the court to declare Myeni’s re-appointment as invalid and illegal.
The DA described Cabinet’s decision to retain Myeni as a disaster for South Africa. It noted that under Myeni’s watch SAA has:
- Failed to publish annual financial statements for 2014/15 with an apparent loss of R4.7 billion.
- Failed to publish annual financial statements for 2015/16 with an apparent loss of R4 billion.
- Apparently run SAA at a R1.3 billion loss for the first quarter of 2016/17.
- Irrationally suspended officials, apparently because they tried to curb corruption.
- Cost the company millions of rands with no returns for the BnP funding debacle.
- Put SAA at risk of losing lucrative routes such as the Hong Kong route.
According to the Sunday Times, the DA is scheduled to make the announcement in parliament on Monday morning.
DA federal executive chairman James Selfe said: “We will be arguing that Ms Myeni is an inappropriate and incapable appointment.”
“The announcement by cabinet to re-appoint Ms Myeni undermines the principle of appointing the brightest and the best to serve the state and its entities. Cabinet, which only does the bidding of President Jacob Zuma, continues to make wrong decisions – Ms Myeni’s re-appointment being one of many,” said Selfe.
The Sunday Times also reported that Myeni was not on the National Treasury’s list of 13 preferred candidates for the SAA board.
SAA is expected to report massive losses when it releases its long overdue financial results for the years ending 2015 and 2016.
Read the full article in the Sunday Times 4 September 2016 edition.