Parliament has put an advert out for a number of job positions that have opened up – including a bartender position offering an annual salary of R283,611 (R23,600 a month).
Data from salary data group Payscale shows that the median bartender salary in South Africa is R46,950 per year (R3,900 a month) – with the the highest recorded at R93,650 a year (R7,800).
Other salary data points to an average of R4,800 a month.
This is echoed by numerous job listings on jobs portal Adzuna, which shows bartender positions offering salaries of between R3,600 and R5,000 per month – with many paying per day (R150) or per hour (R23) worked.
According to the job ad, which appeared in the Sunday Times this past weekend, prospective bartenders will need to know the ins and outs of Parliament, and should be able to manage stressful situations.
“The successful candidate will provide friendly and efficient service within the bar‚ dispensing orders accurately‚ with courtesy to the standard required according to legislation.”
Other jobs listed in the advert – and their respective annual salaries – include:
- Chief researcher – R1.3 million
- Unit manager: media relations – R1.1 million
- Unit manager: multimedia production – R1.1 million
- Finance analyst – R1.1 million
- IT audit supervisor – R715,576
- Internal audit supervisor – R715,576
- Sourcing specialist – R715,576
- Control librarian: acquisitions and serial services – R715,576
- Legal assistant – R564,404
- Bartender – R283,611