ANC to hand over cadre deployment records that ‘have been found’

 ·19 Feb 2024

The ANC has said that it will comply with last week’s Constitutional Court order by handing over records from its National Deployment Committee to the DA by the end of business day today – however said that the files may be a bit light as many of its records could not be found.

During the 2021 Commission on State Capture, some records from the deployment committee (from 2018 to 2021) were presented. The ANC stated then that they had searched for minutes of the committee from December 2012 to December 2017, but none could be found.

The ANC released a statement on February 19, 2024, saying that it has done “everything in its power” to find the missing records and “will hand over all records that have been found, and give an explanation regarding those records which either do not exist, or have not been able to be found.”

Additionally, the ruling party said that it would be protecting the personal information of those who have “not given consent” for the release of the records in accordance with the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA).

DA’s Leon Schreiber sought access to these records back in 2021 in terms of the Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA). However, it has faced much litigation from the ANC who have sought to keep the records private.

After a long road of litigation, the Constitutional Court ruled that the ANC hand over the records dating back to when President Cyril Ramaphosa became chairperson of the deployment committee in terms of the Promotion of Access to Information Act.

During the launch of the DA’s election manifesto at the weekend, party leader John Steenhuisen said that should the ANC fail to hand over the documents on Monday, the party would seek a contempt order against ANC’s leadership.


Read: Cadre deployment records could spark major labour disputes in South Africa

Show comments
Subscribe to our daily newsletter