Facebook and Instagram have introduced a number of tools to help people manage their time on the platforms.
In a blog post published on Wednesday (1 August), Facebook said that these would include an activity dashboard, a daily reminder, and a new way to limit notifications.
“We developed these tools based on collaboration and inspiration from leading mental health experts and organisations, academics, our own extensive research, and feedback from our community,” it said.
“We want the time people spend on Facebook and Instagram to be intentional, positive and inspiring. Our hope is that these tools give people more control over the time they spend on our platforms and also foster conversations between parents and teens about the online habits that are right for them.”
To access the tools:
- Go to the settings page on either app.
- On Instagram tap “Your Activity,” and on Facebook, tap “Your Time on Facebook.”
- At the top, you’ll see a dashboard showing your average time for that app on that device. Tap any bar to see your total time for that day.
- Below the dashboard, you can set a daily reminder to give yourself an alert when you’ve reached the amount of time you want to spend on that app for that day. You can change or cancel the reminder at any time.
- You can also tap on “Notification Settings” to quickly access the new “Mute Push Notifications” setting. This will limit your Facebook or Instagram notifications for a period of time when you need to focus.
“We have a responsibility to help people understand how much time they spend on our platforms so they can better manage their experience,” Facebook said.