Listed private learning group, AdvTech, says it will be opening a new online school for grades R to 9, from January 2021.
The school, called Evolve Online School (Evolve), will offer a curriculum mapping system developed by MIT to personalise each child’s learning experience.
“Using the latest research, each child’s learning journey will be designed based on exclusive subject and skill maps,” it said.
The company’s portfolio includes Crawford Schools, Pinnacle College, Abbotts college, and Varsity College.
Students will be placed within subjects according to their abilities, letting them progress faster where they are gifted and allowing them to work at a more deliberate pace to master content they find more challenging.
The result is that each student’s learning experience is tailored to their specific needs, and they are encouraged to grow at a pace that suits their ability and enthusiasm, it said.
The online model uses Apple/iOS technology, and will incorporate:
- Learning Architects drawn from master teachers across the country to develop curriculum content;
- Learning Activators who will ensure a holistic digital learning journey as opposed to simply copying and pasting the physical class into a virtual space;
- Life coaches who will help develop crucial 21st Century skills and global competencies in students.
“There will be a strong focus on foundational, social and emotional learning skills,” AdvTech said.
“Our team of life coaches will focus exclusively on these skills. Our children are growing up in a world very different from the one in which we grew up. Things that we, as adults, deal with and take in our stride they are already facing at a very young age.
“Our life coaches will play a very important role in teaching students how to deal with issues such as stress and anxiety, helping them develop coping mechanisms, resilience and a growth mindset,” it said.
Evolve will make use of the following:
- Diagnostic testing to determine the exact level of proficiency of a student before placement, and during the educational journey;
- Asynchronous learning so that learners can move through content at their own pace and according to their own proficiency. Students will also have direct access to their teachers who will facilitate extra activation classes;
- Synchronous learning where students will also be able to attend live interactive classes;
- Socialisation opportunities with academies, studios, and day camps monthly so that students can meet other “Evolvers” and get green time to balance their screen time.
Registrations for the school open in September. The school will initially cater for Grades R to 9 from January 2021. Grades 10 to 12 will be phased in from 2022.
According tot he group’s website, fees for an academic year range between R20,500 for grade 0/R to R29,900 for grade 9. Registration fees are set at R300, with a deposit of R2,000 to R3,000 required.