Discovery Health has released its latest Discovery Health Patient Survey Score (PaSS), listing the best hospitals around the country based on patient experience.
The globally validated survey allows patients to voice their views to healthcare providers of how care was experienced during admission to hospital. To collect patient feedback on the experience of care in hospital, adult members of Discovery Health Medical Scheme are surveyed after their discharge from hospital.
The survey covers questions across important categories such as how well pain was managed, the preparation of patients for care following discharge, and whether patients experienced communication from healthcare providers as respectful and easy to understand.
To ensure a fair and equitable comparison between hospitals, the analysis considers factors that hospitals cannot reasonably control – such as the nature of illness and the age and gender of patients. Overall, 136 hospitals were included in the analysis of patient experience scores.
“Measuring quality of care, including patient experience, is standard practice in healthcare systems around the world,” said Head of Quality of Care at Discovery Health, Dr Roshini Moodley Naidoo.
“Healthcare systems that value and enable best quality of care are known to reduce unnecessary costs and offer improved health outcomes for patients. Our measurement of quality of care, the public reporting thereof, and the improvement strategies that healthcare providers implement, hold the potential to improve healthcare delivery,” said Moodley Naidoo.
The PaSS Top 20 hospitals in 2016, across all size categories, are listed below (alphabetically):
*Hospitals marked with an asterisk have featured on the list for the past three years.
- Cormed Clinic (Vanderbijlpark)
- Ethekwini Hospital And Heart Centre* (Newlands East, Durban)
- Gateway Private Hospital (Umhlanga)
- Hillcrest Private Hospital* (Hillcrest)
- Life Bay View Private Hospital (Mossel Bay)
- Life Rosepark Hospital (Bloemfontein)
- Lowveld Hospital* (Nelspruit)
- Mediclinic Cape Gate (Cape Town)
- Mediclinic Ermelo (Ermelo)
- Mediclinic George (George)
- Mediclinic Hoogland (Bethlehem)
- Mediclinic Louis Leipoldt (Belville West, Cape Town)
- Mediclinic Milnerton* (Milnerton, Cape Town)
- Mediclinic Panorama* (Cape Town)
- Mediclinic Stellenbosch* (Stellenbosch)
- Midvaal Private Hospital* (Vereeniging)
- Netcare Jakaranda Hospital (Pretoria)
- Netcare N1 City Hospital (Cape Town)
- Wilmed Park Private Hospital* (Klerksdorp)
- Zuid-Afrikaans Hospital* (Pretoria)