Eat Out has published its list of 30 nominees for its annual restaurant awards.
The nominees were picked by a panel of critics made up of a diverse range of individuals including seasoned journalists, bloggers, writers, trained chefs, caterers, food personalities, lecturers and former restaurateurs.
These industry experts rate thousands of candidates – including the most viewed restaurants on the site, those that received reader reviews, and those recommended by critics.
The highest-scoring restaurants are then reviewed and the best are selected to form the Eat Out 500. The critics always dine unannounced and pay for their meals in full to ensure fair, unbiased reviewing.
The official list of the top 10 restaurants in the country will be announced in November.
As in previous years, the list is dominated by restaurants from Cape Town and the Western Cape. However, there are a number of notable selections from Gauteng and KZN.
The nominees, in alphabetical order, are:
- Camphors at Vergelegen – Somerset West
- Chefs Warehouse at Beau Constantia – Constantia
- Chefs Warehouse at Maison – Franschhoek
- Eike – Stellenbosch
- FABER – Paarl
- Fermier Restaurant – Pretoria
- Foxcroft – Constantia
- FYN Restaurant – Cape Town
- Grei – Sandton
- Greenhouse at The Cellars-Hohenort – Constantia
- Janse & Co – Cape Town
- Jardine Restaurant – Stellenbosch
- Jordan Restaurant – Stellenbosch
- La Colombe – Constantia Nek
- La Petite Colombe – Franschhoek
- La Tête – Cape Town
- Le Coin Français – Franschhoek
- LivingRoom at Summerhill Estate – Durban
- Overture – Stellenbosch
- Pierneef à La Motte – Franschhoek
- Protégé – Franschhoek
- Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient – Pretoria
- Rust en Vrede – Stellenbosch
- Salsify – Camps Bay
- The Restaurant at Waterkloof – Somerset West
- The Shortmarket Club – Cape Town
- The Test Kitchen – Woodstock
- Tjing Tjing Momiji – Cape Town
- The Werf Restaurant at Boschendal – Franschhoek
- Wolfgat – Paternoster