Australia currently has some of the harshest lockdown restrictions in the world as the country looks to isolate itself from external Covid-19 outbreaks.
Travel to Australia is currently only available if you are exempt or granted an individual exemption, says expatriation specialist firm Xpatweb.
Travel restrictions are subject to change in response to the circumstances surrounding Covid-19.
“All people travelling to Australia must provide proof of a negative Covid-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) result at the time of check-in. Travellers must wear a mask while on the flight and while in the airport environment.”
Despite these restrictions, the government is also under pressure as the second recession in two years threatens Australia’s economy, Xpatweb said.
“To boost the economy and regardless of the above restrictions, and through its General Skilled Migration Programme, the Australian government invites skilled migrants with experiences in areas facing workforce shortages.
“The main aim behind this programme is to increase the productivity of the economy of Australia.”
Xpatweb said that the skilled stream of the migration programme is designed to attract migrants who make a significant contribution to the Australian economy and fill positions where scarce Australian workers are available.
Skilled migrants have very high participation rates in the workforce, helping to stimulate economic growth, which results in more jobs.
To qualify for the skilled stream of the Migration Programme, the basic criteria are:
- Age – you must be under 45 years of age at the date of application.
- English language – you must have sufficient ability in the English language.
- Qualifications – you are required to have a tertiary qualification (usually a university degree or a trade), and your qualification must have been assessed by the relevant assessing authority in Australia.
- Nominated occupation – when you apply, you will need to nominate an occupation befitting your skills and qualifications. This occupation must be on the Skilled Occupations List in the case of the subclass 189 visa or on one of the State/Territory lists for the subclass 190 visa.
- Medical and character checks – you must satisfy the criteria for both medical and character requirements.
“High skilled individuals can currently submit their applications; however, we encourage individuals who would like to benefit from this programme to consult with a specialist to ensure that the technical aspects of the applications are clear,” Xpatweb said.