City Press reported that former SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng has received an after-tax bonus of R11.4 million this week, paid in two installments of R5.7-million each.
Moreover, Motsoeneng will retain his job despite a Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA)
ruling earlier on in the week.
City Press pointed to a letter confirming his redeployment to a senior position as group executive for corporate affairs.
Citing several highly placed and independent sources at the SABC, the paper reported that Motsoeneng will then be asked to act in the vacant position of COO – “putting him right back where the courts said he should not be”.
According to the report, the bonus is commission for a R500-million deal between the SABC and MultiChoice for broadcasting SABC channels on DStv.
The report states that the full bonus for the MultiChoice deal, which will be paid to Motsoeneng over three years, will be around R33-million.
This follows a Supreme Court of Appeal ruling on Monday which rejected Motsoeneng’s bid for leave to appeal against a High Court ruling that set aside his permanent appointment.
Public Protector Thuli Madonsela found, in a report released in February 2014, that Motsoeneng had lied about his qualifications when he applied for the post of COO, that he hiked his salary from R1.5-million to R2.4-million in one year, and purged senior staff.
In November 2015, Western Cape High Court Judge Dennis Davis found that Motsoeneng’s appointment was irrational and unlawful and set it aside. The DA had brought the application.
On 23 May this year, Davis dismissed his application for leave to appeal. Motsoeneng then approached the Supreme Court.
On Tuesday, Motsoeneng reported for duty as an “ordinary employee”.
His lawyer, Zola Majavu, said the appeal related to his dismissal as COO, but he was still a full-time employee of the public broadcaster.