More than 341 SABC news staffers and a further 97 from the corporation’s 23 radio stations are set to be cut in retrenchments.
This is according to a leaked document seen by The Star, which reported that the offices of the executives will only feel a slight pinch as all the executives and most of their immediate employees will escape unscathed.
The report stated that the SABC’s executive offices currently absorb over R36 million of the company’s annual salary bill.
Earlier this week the embattled national broadcaster announced that it had begun a process to consult labour unions over its intention to retrench permanent staffers and freelancers.
Briefing the Portfolio Committee on Communications on Tuesday, Jonathan Thekiso, SABC group executive for human resource, said the consultation process was being undertaken in line with the Labour Relations Act, with a view of discussing processes that would unfold in an event that the SABC was left with no alternative but to proceed with retrenchments.
“The process has commenced today, the very first consultative session and our estimation is that the process should be concluded by the end of January.
“In the event that the organisation proceeds with retrenchments, the termination of the contracts of employment will be subject to a notice period starting from the beginning of February up to the end of February,” Thekiso said.
At the end of October, the SABC board announced its intention to retrench approximately 1,200 out of its 2,400 freelancers, while about 981 out of a total of 3 380 permanent employees are likely to be affected by retrenchments.