Mobile operator Cell C says it has exceeded its target of 100 new sites in Gauteng before the end of November, adding 110 in the province as part of an effort to alleviate its under pressure network.
Speaking at a briefing in Sandton on Thursday (28 November), acting CEO Jose Dos Santos said that 110 new sites were on air, taking total sites on the group’s network to 4,040.
Of the 4,040 sites, 198 are 2G-only sites, with the rest (3,842) being 3G sites, Cell C said.
Dos Santos said that he expected an additional 340-360 sites to be on air by May-June 2014.
He said further that an additional 98 sites had been added regionally.
“We’ve seen a huge improvement on the KPIs (key performance indicators),” Dos Santos said, adding that the group’s “aggressive rollout” will continue through December.
Cell C CEO, Alan Knott-Craig said recently that he was hopeful that the group’s under-fire network would be “perfect” by the end of November.
In August, Cell C announced that it would roll out an additional 100 sites in Johannesburg over the next three months at a cost of R200 million.
This was in addition to an existing 959 sites in Johannesburg.