The British premium automobile manufacturer, Mini has updated the look of its cars in South Africa, which includes “extensive technological advancements”, and a futuristic looking interior.
The update for the Mini 3 door, the Mini 5 door and the Mini Convertible includes fresh design accents, innovations in the field of drive technology, additional customisation options and an expansion of the digital services available as part of Mini Connected, the group said.
Mini 3 door, Mini 5 door, Mini Convertible: overview of new features.
- LED headlights with Matrix function for the high beam;
- LED rear lights in Union Jack design;
- New Mini logo, new body finishes, Piano Black exterior;
- New light alloy wheels;
- Extended range of leather trim, interior surfaces and Colour Lines;
- Unique individualisation with Mini Yours Customised;
- Further developed engines with enhanced efficiency as well as increased capacity and torque for Mini One;
- 7-speed Steptronic transmission with double clutch, 8-speed Steptronic transmission;
- Multifunction steering wheel and radio with 6.5-inch colour screen, USB and Bluetooth interface as standard;
- Optional radio and navigation systems with touchscreen monitor;
- Telephony with wireless charging;
- Mini logo projection from the exterior mirror on the driver’s side;
- MiniConnected and Mini Connected XL with new functions.
The Mini One 3 door delivers up to 75 kW, reaching 0 – 100 km/h in 10.1 seconds, and with a top speed of 195 km/h, while the top of the range Mini John Cooper Works hits 170kW and 320Nm reaching a top speed of 246km/h.
The rear lights also feature a new design in conjunction with the LED headlights and the adaptive LED headlights. As a clear reference to the brand’s British origins, the upright light units at the rear of the new Mini 3 door, the new Mini 5 door and the new Mini Convertible now appear in a Union Jack design.
“The striking flag motif is recreated in the structure of the light functions. The turn indicators are horizontally arranged and the brake lights are vertically aligned, with the tail light additionally representing the diagonal lines of the British flag. In order to ensure a particularly harmonious lighting effect, all light sources forming the Union Jack graphic use LED technology.”
New Mini logo
The new Mini logo appears on the bonnet, tailgate, steering wheel, central instrument display and remote control in all models. “It is a re-interpretation of the existing logo and now features a two-dimensional “flat design”.
As such, the Mini logo reflects the new brand identity with its focus on the essentials – namely key values such as driving fun, distinctive design, premium quality and emotional appeal.”
New digital features include Real Time Traffic Information the personal Concierge Service and the vehicle internet portal Mini Online with news, weather and fuel price overview. There is also an optional preparation for Apple CarPlay.
The new services are available in three packages. Connected Media is standard on all derivatives, barring Mini One (where it is optional). It includes digital infotainment facilities that can be used with the Radio Mini Visual Boost, while Connected Navigation turns the Mini navigation system into an intelligently networked information centre.
The Mini Connected App provides connectivity with digital touchpoints such as a smartphone or smart watch. For example, Mini Connected can draw on calendar entries and contact data entered in a smartphone to plan a route and determine the ideal time to set off based on real time traffic data.
The send to car function enables planned routes to be sent to the Mini navigation system, while Remote Services allow the driver not just to display vehicle location, fuel level and other vehicle status details on their digital end device, but also activate the headlight flasher, horn, ventilation and door lock/unlock function.
Intelligent networking of the Mini is via a SIM card integrated in the vehicle: this now complies with the mobile communications standard 4G.
- Mini One Hatch 3-door: R302,200 (75kW and 190Nm)
- Mini One Hatch 3-door AT: R323,200
- Mini Cooper Hatch 3-door: R370,300 (100kW and 230Nm)
- Mini Cooper Hatch 3-door AT: R391,300
- Mini Cooper S Hatch 3-door: R430,577 (141kW and 300Nm)
- Mini Cooper S Hatch 3-door AT: R450,186
- Mini John Cooper Works Hatch 3-door: R491,095 (170kW and 320Nm)
- Mini John Cooper Works Hatch 3-door AT: R512,865
- Mini One Hatch 5–door: R312,300 (75kW and 190Nm)
- Mini One Hatch 5–door AT: R333,300
- Mini Cooper Hatch 5–door: R380,400 (100kW and 230Nm)
- Mini Cooper Hatch 5–door AT: R401,400
- Mini Cooper S Hatch 5–door: R441,057 (141kW and 300Nm)
- Mini Cooper S Hatch 5–door AT: R459,780
- Mini Cooper Convertible: R423,200 (100kW and 230Nm)
- Mini Cooper Convertible AT: R444,200
- Mini Cooper S Convertible: R496,836 (141kW and 300Nm)
- Mini Cooper S Convertible AT: R515,559