Ford has launched its new limited-edition Ranger Thunder, promising a wider range of features and options over the standard Ranger model.
As with the Wildtrak and Ranger Raptor, the Thunder is powered by the 2.0-litre Bi-Turbo engine – producing 157kW and 500Nm, and is mated to a 10-speed automatic transmission.
Ford has also introduced a number of physical changes with the Ranger Thunder’s design. These include a revised honeycomb-style front grille, black detailing, and 18-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels.
Aside from the visual enhancements, the Ranger Thunder includes a number of practical additions including a lockable ‘Mountain Top’ black roller shutter to safely secure goods being carried.
Ford said that the Ranger Thunder will also include a cargo area management system with a bed divider that allows the owner to easily compartmentalise the available space for securely holding different-sized items.
The Ranger Thunder has Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB) which uses a combination of radar and camera systems along with new software to detect pedestrians, as well as stationary and moving objects.
Additional features available on the Ranger Thunder include:
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Forward Collision Alert. The system gives a visual and audible warning if the gap to the vehicle ahead falls below a critical distance;
- The brake system is pre-tensioned and the servo boost assistance system is modulated to provide immediate brake performance if required by the driver;
- Lane-keeping alert and lane-keeping aid are also standard on the Ranger Thunder;
- Semi-Automatic Parallel Park Assist (SAPPA).
Ford said that its Ranger XLS line-up will receive a significant upgrade to its built-in infotainment system, with a Connected Touch Radio (CTR) system providing improved connectivity at the lower end of the infotainment line-up.
New front leather seats have been fitted, featuring “Thunder” decals embroidered in red.
Ford said that Ranger Thunder models are exclusively available in Sea Grey, Frozen White, Absolute Black and Moondust Silver.
All models come standard with Ford Protect, comprising a four-year/120,000km comprehensive warranty, three-year/unlimited distance roadside assistance and five-year/unlimited km corrosion warranty. A six-year/90,000km service plan is included, with 15,000 km service intervals.
The pricing for the Ranger Thunder is as follows (all pricing includes VAT):
- Ranger 3.2 TDCI Double-Cab Thunder 6AT 4X2 – R711,600
- Ranger 2.0L BiT Double-Cab Thunder 10AT 4X2 – R736,000
- Ranger 2.0L BiT Double-Cab Thunder 10AT 4X4 – R787,000