2020 turned out to be an annus horribilis globally, with South Africa’s motoring sector unable to escape the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The crippling effects of the virus resulted in a massive decline in new vehicle sales of 156,163 units, or 29.1%, from 536,612 units in 2019 to the 380,449 units in 2020, data from the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of South Africa showed.
Vehicle sales are linked to the strength of the economy and the pandemic not only deepened an existing economic recession, but its severe impact resulted in that the domestic new vehicle market in 2020 dropped back to the levels of two decades ago, it said.
“General expectations are for South Africa’s economy to rebound sharply in 2021, from a very low base in 2020. However, tough months are still ahead before business and consumer confidence will be rebuild.
“Prospects for faster growth over the medium term are likely to be constrained by new Covid-19 waves accompanied by stricter lockdown measures, needed fiscal tightening and persistent power-supply disruptions,” Naamsa said.
It noted that noted that the automotive industry contributes 6.4% to GDP – 4.0% manufacturing and 2.4% retail, and is responsible for approximately 457,000 jobs across the economy’s formal sector.
Bakkie sales continued to show resilience in a turbulent year in 2020, accounting for three brands inside the top five vehicles sold overall, led by Toyota Hilux, with Ford Ranger in third, and Isuzu D-Max fifth.
Top 10 best-selling bakkies 2020
1. Toyota Hilux — 31,263
- Single cab priced from: R298 400
- Double cab priced from: R449 200
2. Ford Ranger — 18,846
- Single cab priced from: R328 000
- Double cab priced from R462 900
3. Isuzu D-Max — 12,704
- Single cab priced from: R309 500
- Double cab priced from: R480,400
4. Nissan NP200 — 10,480
- Priced from R195 000
5. Nissan NP300 — 5,043
- Single cab priced from: R269 500
- Double cab priced from: R365 400
6. Mahindra Scorpio Pik Up — 3,093
- Single cab priced from: R212 499
- Double cab priced from: 322 499
7. Land Cruiser Pickup — 2,475
- Single cab priced from: R876 200
- Double cab priced from: R700 900
8. Hyundai H100 Bakkie — 2,197
- Priced from R298 500
9. GWM Steed — 1,675
- Single cab priced from: R192 900
- Double cab priced from: R212 900
10. VW Amarok — 1,528
- Double cab priced from R704,100