The Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) has warned motorists they will be arrested on the spot for several traffic offences this festive season.
CEO advocate Makhosini Msibi told journalists that traffic fines were not a strong enough deterrent.
The offences that will result in immediate arrest are:
- Driving without a licence;
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
- Failing to wear a seatbelt;
- Using an unroadworthy vehicle;
- Using an unregistered vehicle or having an expired licence disc;
- Exceeding the speed limit;
- Overtaking on a barrier line;
- Driving though a red traffic light;
- Not having number plates on each end of the vehicle.
“Make no mistake, we are going to be arresting people,” Msibi said.