The app, called “Standard Bank Mobile Banking”, allows users to access a number of the bank’s services, even if you are not an account holder. Users will only be allowed to access accounts from linked devices.
The app makes provision for up to 10 devices to be linked to an account.
The app is free, and has no subscription fees attached – but Standard Bank does point out that “there are transaction fees on certain transactions.”
In terms of functionality, the app offers the following features:
- View available and actual account balances;
- Graphically compare the state of accounts;
- See account balances;
- Search for specific transactions and view provisional, 30-day, 60-day and 90-day statements;
- Transfer funds between linked accounts;
- Pay pre-loaded beneficiaries (added via Internet banking);
- Buy airtime;
- Send money to any other Standard Bank South Africa customer using just their cellphone number (if they are registered for Standard Bank’s Mobile banking service or their Standard Bank account number).
If you’re not a Standard Bank client, or do not wish to log into your account, the app will still allow you to search for the nearest Standard Bank ATM, view financial indicators, and provides financial calculators.
Standard Bank said that it is important to note that transactional features are only available to South African account holders.