Retailer Checkers plans to open 12 standalone Petshop Science stores by the end of 2021 as it sets its sights on a growing pet market.
The Shoprite-owned group has already opened 10 Petshop Science stores in the last seven months, offering food, toys and other pet products at supermarket prices.
As part of the new branding, Checkers has also launched what it calls ‘the cheapest pet insurance product in South Africa’, pointing to the country’s booming pet economy as more millennials opt to adopt pets instead of having children.
“We saw a gap in the market when it came to pet care, and following the great customer response to the first Petshop Science, we’ve been hard at work rolling out more specialist pet shops,” said Checkers chief operating officer Willem Hunlun.
“Our aim has always been to bring customers everything their four-legged companions could want and need – at supermarket prices.”
Checkers opened its tenth Petshop Science store in Eden Meander in George on 6 December, with two more store openings planned in the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal in mid-December.
These are the Petshop Science stores currently open in South Africa:
- Fairbridge Mall, Brackenfell (Western Cape)
- Riverside Mall, Rondebosch (Western Cape)
- N1 City Mall, Goodwood (Western Cape)
- Centurion Mall, Centurion (Gauteng)
- Chamberlain Shopping centre, Silver Lakes, Pretoria (Gauteng)
- Northgate Centre, Northgate (Gauteng)
- Woodburn, Pietermaritzburg (KwaZulu-Natal)
- Langenhoven Park, Bloemfontein (Free State)
- Preller Square, Bloemfontein (Free State)
- Eden Meander, George (Western Cape)
Petshop Science forms part of a growing push by the Shoprite group to expand beyond its traditional grocery market.
This includes the recent opening of the first Checkers Little Me baby store, a smaller format Checkers Foods store, as well as the new MediRite Plus pharmacies.