Unions threaten total Eskom shutdown

The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) says that its members will down tools as it continues to face an impasse with Eskom.

In a statement on Tuesday (12 March), the union said that it was concerned about the potential unbundling of the power utility into three separate entities.

“The shop stewards are very angry towards the attitude so far demonstrated by the leadership in government, led by the African National Congress (ANC), who are talking in tongues about the future of workers at Eskom,” it said.

“They are unable to explain properly what the unbundling means to thousands of poor workers.”

NUM said that there had also been no guarantee to prevent retrenchments during the unbundling process.

It added that the board of Eskom has totally failed in their duties to develop a turn-around strategy towards the improvement of Eskom’s performance.

In light of this NUM has stated that:

  • Thousands of NUM Eskom members will march to the ANC’s Luthuli House on 30 March 2019;
  • All Eskom board members – led by Jabu Mabuza – should resign with immediate effect;
  • There should be an immediate cancellation of the IPPs and PPA contracts.

In addition to this march, NUM said its workers would be downing tools in the run-up to the national elections in May.

“A total shutdown will be organised as from 3 of May 2019 up to the week leading up to the national general elections on 8th of May 2019,” NUM said.


Read: High Court rules against Eskom in landmark power cut case

Latest news

Partner Content

Show comments

Follow us

Recommended

Unions threaten total Eskom shutdown