The National Prosecuting Authority has rubbished weekend reports by the City Press claiming that finance minister Pravin Gordhan will be facing fresh charges by Christmas 2016.
The City Press reported on Sunday that the Hawks and the NPA are determined to launch a strong case against Gordhan and his co-accused, saying that the minister and his former Sars deputy, Ivan Pillay, “will be charged before Christmas”.
“The charges laid against them will include fraud, defeating the ends of justice, and contravention of the Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of Communication-Related Information Act,” the paper said.
The City Press said further that the NPA has allocated four prosecutors – all from the Priority Crimes Litigation Unit, which Abrahams used to head – to lead the investigation team.
According to the NPA, however, the report has no merit, as the investigation into the unit is not yet over, and a decision on whether to prosecute or not will only be taken once the probe is complete.
The investigation is at an advanced stage, the NPA said.
“It is not in the interest of the country for the matter to be investigated in perpetuity, hence the National Director has called on the parties involved to accelerate the investigation in order to bring finality to the matter,” the group said in a statement.
“Any speculation in respect of the matter is undesirable as it will cause unnecessary uncertainty and contriburte to instability.”
Earlier in November, NPA boss Shaun Abrahams denied weekend reports that his office was going to drop charges against Gordhan and his co-accused relating to fraud charges.
Despite the denial, Abrahams proceeded to drop the charges as specified in the report.