The Parliamentary Portfolio Committee on Communications has submitted five candidates to the communications minister to be considered for the positions of ICASA councilors.
According to the committee chairperson, Sikhumbuzo Kholwane, most of the candidates had received unanimous approval from the committee.
Kholwane noted that for every vacancy, one and a half names had to be submitted to the minister. “This meant that the minister had to consider five names put forward by the committee, and of those five, three would be selected to fill the vacancies,” he said.
The five nominations for the ICASA council were:
- Ms Nomvuyiso Batyi (all members in favour);
- Mr Mkhululi Boqwana (all members in favour);
- Ms Nomonde Gongxeka (8 members in favour, three against – two DA and one COPE);
- Mr Manyara Rubben Mohlaloga (8 Members in favour, three against – two DA and one COPE);
- Ms Katharina Pillay (all members in favour).