The Sanlam Group has partnered with the UCT Online High School to provide scholarships to talented young South Africans from historically disadvantaged backgrounds.
Classes for the online school start in January 2022 for grades 8-12, and for a Monthly fee of R2,095.
The new Sanlam UCT Online High School Scholarship Programme will provide 100 academically strong learners, who may otherwise not have had the chance to realise their potential, with 100% of their high school tuition over a five-year period – an investment of R14.5 million from Sanlam, it said.
Applications are open to Grade 7 learners from now until mid-November for admission to Grade 8 in 2022.
The UCT Online High School was launched in July this year and has already received 5,000 applications, indicating strong demand. Its model enables learners to pace their learning while being provided with 1:1 tutoring from teachers and coaches.
To meet the growing demand, the institution is hiring over 300 new staff members. The job openings include:
- Mentors & learning coaches;
- Teaching assistants;
- Software developers;
- Content creators;
- Learning designer.
All available positions can be accessed for online applications here.
Sanlam’s Group Human Resources Director, Jeanett Modise, said: “For us, this is about establishing a diverse and transformed talent-pipeline of the future skills that South Africa so desperately needs.
“There are many academically gifted learners in our country who may not have access to the level of education that will help them realise their full potential. By providing their tuition, these learners have a greater chance at accessing world-class private schooling – and a future where they can live with confidence.”
Applicants for scholarships will require a 70% or above pass rate in both English and Maths in their most recent round of assessments in Grade 7. Additionally, they must have obtained a minimum overall average of 70% in their latest school report.
The Sanlam UCT Online High School Scholarship Programme application criteria:
- Grade and age: The applicant must be completing Grade 7 in 2021, and not be older than 13 years and no younger than 12 in Grade 7.
- Historically disadvantaged: The applicant must come from a historically disadvantaged South African family (African, Coloured or Indian/Asian).
- Academic performance: The applicant must have obtained a minimum of 70% for Mathematics and 70% for English in their latest school report. Additionally, they must have obtained a minimum overall average of 70% in their latest school report.
- Requiring financial assistance: The applicant must demonstrate financial need.
- Nationality: The applicant must be a South African citizen.
- Potential to thrive at UCT Online High School: Whilst Sanlam will cover 100% of the tuition fees, guardians will need to ensure that the applicant has the desire to attend an online school; basic computer literacy skills that would enable them to access online education; access to adult supervision; a safe space that is conducive for learning; access to a reliable, high-speed internet connection (with a minimum average speed of 10 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload); and a reliable laptop and headset.