The SABC’s chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng is offering a R100,000 reward to anyone who exposes staff members for leaking information to the media, according to a report by the Sunday Times.
Motsoeneng denied the reward scheme, stated the report, but went on to warn that the broadcaster “intended to investigate and shame media houses that reported negatively on the SABC”.
“He confirmed that an executive decision had been taken to deal with people who leak internal SABC information,” stated the report.
“At the SABC we have a policy to deal with the leaking of information,” said Motsoeneng.
He went on to state that “it was time” for the SABC to investigate media houses, as Motsoeneng knew “horrible stories” about the working conditions at other establishments.
The Sunday Times stated that senior SABC editors were told about the R100,000 incentive during a recent management meeting.
The full report is in the Sunday Times of 21 February 2016.