Showmax is trialling live sport streaming and has also begun adding pre-recorded sport events to its back catalogue.
In an emailed statement, the company said that the content available in the trial includes:
- Live broadcast of South Africa’s ICC Cricket World Cup games;
- Extended highlights from major games;
- Magazine and talk shows from SuperSport;
- Selected live professional and amateur events including games from the SuperSport Rugby challenge;
- Sport-focused movies and documentaries.
The company said that the trial is currently only accessible to a randomly selected group of South African customers, through most apps and platforms.
Users who have been selected as part of the trial will be able access the content rough a dedicated a ‘sport’ option on the main navigation bar after series and movies.
While Showmax did not indicate which sports or events will be available, its official Twitter account said that there are no current plans to offer full bouquets of all sports; however, it “does intend to try different content on the service over time”.