The newspaper quoted Telkom CEO Sipho Maseko as saying that the Telkom board is reviewing its options with Telkom Mobile.
Maseko told the Sunday Times that they want to de-risk Telkom Mobile, and are looking at the amount of money spent on their mobile arm.
Telkom has been punting mobile services as one of its core future strategies, which include converged fixed-mobile solutions.
However, last week Telkom Mobile MD Attila Vitai said that a hypothetical deal between Telkom and Cell C would not make sense for Telkom.
Vitai said that a deal between the two operators would only make sense for Cell C, while it would simply move Telkom Mobile “from a loss-making fourth operator to a loss-making third operator”.