New car licence law comes into effect in SA

Vehicle owners in South Africa will need to produce proof of residence in order to renew their car licence in a new law implemented over the weekend (1 November).

The Automobile Association (AA) noted that while there has been some speculation regarding the details and implications of the new regulation, it does not relate to non-payment of e-tolls.

The new Regulation 32A of the National Road Traffic Regulations requires all persons to provide proof of residence to acquire a license disc.

According to the AA, The Department of Transport says the purpose of this regulation, which provides for the verification of address particulars on the eNaTIS system, is to ensure all people registered on the system “promptly and timeously receive their vehicle and driving licence renewal notices and any other road traffic related communique”.

The regulation states that anyone who does not comply with this notice will not receive their vehicle and driving licence renewal notices and any other road traffic related communication from eNaTIS, the AA said.

It pointed out that while the implementation of these regulations is happening now, they were gazetted, and a decision on their implementation was made, in November 2014.

“We would further like to point out that while there is a requirement for proof of residence, the new regulation cannot be used to withhold a license disc for outstanding e-toll fees,” it said.

Regulations 25(7) and 59(2) of the National Road Traffic Act do not make provision for the withholding of licence discs for outstanding e-toll fees. Legislation that enables this action has not yet been gazetted, it said.

Motorists and companies will have to provide the following information to register vehicles, and renew licence discs and driving licences:

  • Full names, date of birth, identity number, and business registration number, along with any form of acceptable identification.
  • Proof of postal and residential address, by means of any utility account. As with RICA and FICA, if your name isn’t on the account you need an affidavit from the person in whose name the account is stating you live at that address.
  • If you live in an informal settlement, you need a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your postal and residential address.

In addition, you must complete and hand in a form NCP (notification of change in particulars). This form is available at all licensing authorities or online.

More on vehicle licences

Sanral in new push to ‘criminalise’ those not paying e-tolls

New e-tolls, car licences and your rights

How many car number plates are cloned in Gauteng

Must Read

Partner Content

Show comments

Trending Now

Follow Us

New car licence law comes into effect in SA