President Cyril Ramaphosa has extended the deployment of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) in crime-affected parts of the Western Cape until 31 March 2020.
In a statement on Monday (16 September), the presidency said that the extension would take place with immediate effect.
Ramaphosa added that he had already informed the speaker of the National Assembly and chairperson of the National Council of Provinces about his decision in line with the constitution.
“Members of the regular and reserve forces of the SANDF will undertake operations in cooperation with the police, and will support the prevention and combating of crime and maintenance and preservation of law and order in the Western Cape,” the presidency said.
“The president commends all the law enforcement agencies for the work done thus far and further extends his appreciation to the affected communities for supporting the work of the various security and law enforcement agencies in stamping out criminality and bringing about stability in the affected areas of the province.”
President Ramaphosa authorised the original employment of the SANDF in the Western Cape in July 2019.
Areas where forces were previously deployed include:
- Mitchell’s Plain;
- Bishop’s Lavis;
- Elsies River;