The festive season is known as ‘the time for giving’, and by sending the SMS “Blue” to 40407 you can quickly and easily donate R20 to Autism South Africa (A;SA).
Every 45 minutes a child with Autism is born in SA, and Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is found in every country, every ethnic group, and every socio-economic class.
ASD is usually diagnosed by the time a child is 3 years old, and Autism is diagnosed four times as often in boys than in girls.
Not one person with ASD is affected in the same way, and children who are diagnosed with ASD need early intervention as soon as possible.
What is Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)?
ASD is a developmental disability and people with ASD may communicate, interact, behave, and learn in ways that are different from most other people.
The learning, thinking, and problem-solving abilities of people with ASD can range from gifted to severely impaired.
Some people with ASD need high support (a lot of help and intensive intervention) while others need low support (less help and less intensive intervention).
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) are characterised, in varying degrees, by
- difficulties in social interaction,
- verbal and nonverbal communication,
- repetitive behaviours and
- differences in sensory perception.
What A;SA is achieving in South Africa
A;SA aspires to create a society in which persons with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) enjoy all the rights and opportunities to meet their needs and fulfil their potentials, throughout their lives, as loved and valued members of their families and communities.
A;SA strives to:
- Celebrate and champion the diversity and creativity of persons with ASD.
- Partner with and be relevant to persons with ASD and their families and communities.
- Identify and address the differing and changing needs of babies, children, adolescents and adults with ASD.
- Promote the rights and advance the interests of all those within the autism community.
- Lead ASD awareness, education, therapy and advocacy throughout South Africa.
- Draw on and contribute to national and international experience and expertise in the field of ASD, while retaining a regional and local focus on challenges and opportunities.
Remember to sms “Blue” to 40407 to donate R20 to (A;SA) and share the joy this festive season.