The Australian Department of Home Affairs has announced a new temporary parent visa which will allow migrants to sponsor their parents to live in the country for up to five years.
According to immigration consultants Sable International, applications open on 1 July 2019 and the new visa will be called the subclass 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa.
It added that unlike other parent visas, you won’t need to meet the balance of family test which usually requires at least half of the applicant’s children to be citizens or permanent residents of Australia.
Sable’s Sam Hopwood noted that while full details have not been released, it is understood that the visa will:
- Be temporary and never convert to permanent residence;
- Require the parent to be sponsored by their child who must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
- Be capped at a maximum of 15,000 visas per year;
- Require the child to meet certain income thresholds in order to act as the sponsor;
- Require the child to be able to provide financial and accommodation support to the parent;
- Cost AUD5,000 (R50,200) for a visa up to three years and AUD10,000 (R100,000) for a visa up to five years;
- Not give the parent any work rights in Australia;
- Require the parent to hold health insurance and meet health and character checks.
“From 17 April 2019, it will be possible for the child/sponsor of the parent to submit an online application to have their sponsorship considered,” Hopwood said.
“These sponsorship applications will cost AUD420 (R4,218) and must be approved before the parent can apply for a visa on 1 July 2019.”
Hopwood said that there are other temporary long-stay options available that might be more suitable and affordable for parents.
“It’s possible to get a visitor visa that’s valid for up to three years, which allows the holder to remain in Australia for 12 months at a time,” he said,
The conditions for this long-term visitor visa are that:
- You may stay in Australia for up to 12 months during an 18-month period;
- After 12 months, you must leave Australia for six months before you can re-enter;
- You must have previously had an Australian visa;
- This type of visitor visa costs AUD145 (R1,456), takes a month to process and can be applied for multiple times.
“There are also various other parent visas available if you’re looking to live permanently in the country and you satisfy the balance of family,” he said.