AFS Interculture in partnership with the US embassy has opened applications for its Kennedy Lugar Youth Exchange and Study Programme (KL YES).
The KL YES programme provides South African students with the unique chance to spend 10 months with a carefully selected host family and go to a local American high school.
The programme takes place over 10 months from August 2020 – June 2021 and includes a full scholarship sponsored by the KL YES and the US Department of State.
You are eligible if:
- You are a South Africa resident;
- You were born between 01/01/2003 and 01/08/2005;
- You are enrolled in a secondary school at time of application;
- Have the equivalent of a B average (70%) or better for the past three years, with no subject mark below 50% for 2017, 2018 and 2019;
- You must have lived more than 50% (3yrs) of the last 5 years in South Africa & and be able to provide citizenship documents;
- You are able to produce all school reports from January 2017 until June 2019;
- Have not yet completed more than 11 years of primary education nor received a high school matric certificate;
- You must be able to speak and understand English;
- You are able to complete the preliminary application and send it to AFS at the email below;
- You have a valid passport and unabridged birth certificate, or are able to apply for one;
- You must be open-minded, flexible and independent;
- You must be able to attend a selection day in Johannesburg, Pietermaritzburg or Cape Town at your own expense, and if shortlisted, again for a language test and further selection procedures;
- Shortlisted students will need to produce their vaccination card and pay for further immunisations as required.
The closing date for applications is 16 August 2019. You can find out more about the scholarship here.