South Africa has several quality fine dining restaurants, but La Colombe is the best restaurant in the country.
This is according to the latest top 1,000 restaurant rankings by Paris-based La Liste.
Compared to other rankings that offer stars or rankings, La Liste also uses thousands of other scores based on online reviews from causal diners, magazines and newspaper ratings, and scores from guides and other lists.
La Colombe is based in Cape Town and serves modern French-meets-Asian food. The menu ranges in price from R1,195 p.p. to R1,995 p.p. – excluding service and alcohol prices.
The restaurant’s R1,995 p.p Chef’s Menu includes the following:
- the doves nest
- bread & charcuterie
- tuna ‘la colombe’
- namibian crab, game fish, nahn jim, madagascan caviar
- quail, crayfish, sweetcorn, bisque
- nitro citrus
- karoo lamb, globe artichoke, harissa
- cheese & honey
- strawberry, yoghurt, geranium
- petit four chest
This is not the first time that La Colombe has received praise, with it being named 94th on the World’s 50 Best Restaurants extended list, even if this was down from last year’s 56th.
It also received 3 Plates (Highest Accolade) from the JHP Gourmet Guide and was named the 17th Best Fine Dining Restuarant in the World and best in Africa.
Images of some of La Colombe’s products can be found below:
Opposed to other rankings that have a singular winner, La Liste has named seven restaurants as the best in the world.
The list gives scores to restaurants in half-point increments up to 99.5. This results in many restaurants having the same numerical ranking.
With this in mind, here are the seven best restaurants in the world:
- Le Bernardin in New York City, USA
- Guy Savoy in Paris, France
- Sushi Saito in Tokyo, Japan
- La Vague d’Or in Saint-Tropez, France
- L’Enclume in the UK’s Lake District
- Schwarzwaldstube in Germany’s Black Forest
- Lung King Heen in Hong Kong.
With reporting from Bloomberg