The Discovery Health Medical Scheme (DHMS) is offering virtual consultations to all of its members as part of the fight against the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
If your personal doctor is not available, a dedicated Covid-19 care team of doctors are on hand to consult, the group said.
When your doctor is registered on HealthID and DrConnect, you can book an appointment with your doctor and speak directly to them on a video call or messaging service.
Your doctor can also give you medical guidance about your risks and symptoms while you are at home and can direct you on your eligibility for testing, your need to self-isolate or to go for a face-to-face consultation if you need it.
“With people accessing healthcare services through digital channels, they can follow recommended guidelines of social distancing that further prevent the possible transmission of COVID-19 virus to others,” said Dr Noluthando Nematswerani, head of Discovery Health’s clinical policy unit.
“It also enables doctors to triage patients and identify those who need referral to medical facilities – assisting with not overloading certain healthcare professionals and testing or treatment centres.”
DHMS members can access the service by following the below steps:
- The Covid-19 information hub offers a quick risk assessment questionnaire related to Covid-19 exposure. If you answer yes to certain of the scenarios, DHMS will recommend you immediately book a consultation with your doctor;
- Click on ‘consult virtually with a doctor’;
- Discovery will show you some additional information to get you started and then you can book a virtual consultation;
- You can choose to book and appointment with your own doctor, if they are available. Members also have access to a dedicated Covid-19 Care Team of doctors to consult with;
- Give these doctors consent to view your electronic health record;
- You can now consult virtually, using video or text, through Discovery’s DrConnect platform;
You can win out more about the service here.