Global media research agency Millward Brown has released its ranking of the top 20 most liked adverts in South Africa in the first half of 2016.
Millward Brown’s Best Liked Ads have been celebrating South Africa’s favourite TV commercials since 1984, and defines its ranking as adverts that have been rated as the most liked by South African audiences.
The list is determined through the group’s proprietary advertising testing system, which has evaluated the impact and liking of all brand advertising in South Africa for over 30 years.
The resultant database stands at over 90,000 TV adverts tested, and more than 1.1 million interviews conducted, making this database one of the largest of its kind in the world.
“Humour, cute kids and slice-of-life stories continue to engage viewers,” the group said.
“In #1 spot for both quarters, we see global ads for Lays and Samsung hitting the mark with local audiences, as well as another three global ads for Samsung, Coke and Cadbury making the list.”
The Samsung ads were part of a global campaign, while the Coke ad is also part of a global campaign, “Taste the Feeling”, that features a series of vignettes, the group said.
These are the top 10 ads for the first quarter of the year:
1. Lays: Distraction – Tiempo BBDO
2. Coca-Cola: Anthem #EnjoyTheFeeling – Mercado-McCann
3. Toyota Hilux: The All New Era of Tough – FCB Joburg
4. Fattis Monis Pasta: The Stuff of Legends – TBWA
5. Huggies: New Baby, Mom’s Love & Care – Ogilvy Johannesburg
6. Toyota Rav 4: Anyone can find their Adventure – FCB Joburg
7. Status Deodorant : Big Ball – King James II
8. Engen & Wimpy: Migration – FCB Cape Town
9. Klipdrift Brandy: Headshake – TBWA
10. Rhodes: For the Love of Food – Owen Kessel Leo Burnett
These are the top 10 ads for the second quarter of the year:
1. Samsung Galaxy S7: Sister – Leo Burnett Chicago
2. NIVEA: Rich Nourishing Care – FCB 1886
3. McCain: Jonathan Thanks his Mom – Joe Public
4. VW Polo Vivo: School Kids – Ogilvy & Mather Cape Town
5. Nestle Cerelac: Little 1s – Ogilvy Healthworld
6. Wimpy: De Wors Breakfast – FCB Joburg
7. Spur: Second to None – The Haas Collective
8. Samsung Galaxy S7: Sink – Leo Burnett Chicago
9. Cadbury Dairy Milk: Flavourism – Saatchi & Saatchi Sydney
10. Baby Soft: Feel as Clean as Brushed Teeth – Ogilvy & Mather Johannesburg