Government has spent over half a million rand on braai facilities for ministerial homes.
Answering in a recent parliamentary Q&A session, minister of Public Works and Infrastructure Patrica De Lille was asked about the rationale behind the decision to construct braai facilities at ministerial residences.
De Lille said that in 2017 there were three ministerial residences that received braai facilities. The total cost for the facilities was R523,985.51 and the duration for the contract was six months.
She added that the rationale was to enhance functionality and property value (of the residences) and that all the proper tender processes were followed.
It was not specified which ministerial homes received the upgrade braai facilities.
Parliamentary village upgrades
In a separate Q&A, De Lille was asked about the planned refurbishment and renovations of Cape Town’s three parliamentary villages.
She said that the project is meant to address the current building regulations in terms of refurbishments of each unit.
She added that each house will be assessed before any work is carried out and that the work will be done according to the needs of each unit.
The Department of Public Works has previously said that the costs of upkeep, levies, construction and transport at Cape Town’s three parliamentary villages was R363 million over the last five years.
De Lille said that the refurbishment cost per unit is R361,882. This cost is broken down as follows:
- Kitchen upgrades – R37,450
- Bathroom upgrades(incl. showers and bathtubs) – R56,536
- Upgrading of all floors – R20,094
- Repair/redecorate walls internally & externally – R39,834
- Repair/replace doors, windows, burglar bars, gates & bedroom cupboards – R11,923
- Structural repairs to walls and floors – R11,923
- Redecorate/replace ceilings and cornices – R17,204
- Repair/replace/clean roofs, gutters, eaves, downpipes – R46,937
- Repair/replace paving, stormwater channels, yard walls and gates – R26,174
- Electrical compliance upgrade – R41,479
- New solar panels – R19,270
- New alarm system – R7,008