Zoopy “off air” for 2 months

South African mobile video platform, Zoopy has closed its doors for two months, with the promise of a re-launch in November.

A statement on the group’s website read: “Thanks for all the Love, we’re off air from 1st of September 2012; relaunching on the 1st of November 2012. We’ll be back with more content, more funk, and even more Style – everything from Music to exclusive Behind the Scenes Content from your (sic) favorite local Celebrities. We know you’ll miss us, but it’ll be worth the wait!”

BusinessTech could not get in touch with company as its phone line at its headquarters in Cape Town was continuously engaged, while the line at its office in Johannesburg was disconnected.

Vodacom, which wholly-owns and funds Zoopy, recently admitted that is planning to sell a significant stake in the group.

Details about the planned deal remain unclear; however, Vodacom confirmed that it is “looking at options for Zoopy that include bringing in a partner to invest and help grow the business”.

A spokesperson for Vodacom told BusinessTech on Tuesday (4 September): “We’re still in discussions with respect to our stake in Zoopy. Nothing has been finalised.” He added that Vodacom has been involved in the reorganisation process of Zoopy ahead of its re-launch.

Zoopy was founded in March 2007 by Jason and Pat Elk, and at the time, competed against platforms like YouTube by allowing users to upload and share videos, photos, podcasts and blogs.

The two former owners have since stepped down from the company, in July.

Vodacom first invested in Zoopy in June 2008, purchasing a 40% share stake in the group. The mobile operator upped its stake to 75% in February 2009, and later acquired the remaining 25% in Zoopy in August 2010.

The company has changed direction over the last few years, to a mobile platform producing original content using a team of content producers and news presenters.

Related articles

Zoopy founders leave company

Vodacom planning to sell stake in Zoopy

But are you making money?

Zoopy repositions as mobile video infotainment platform

Zoopy stops local hosting

Zoopy signs international partnership

Must Read

Partner Content

Show comments

Trending Now

Follow Us

Zoopy “off air” for 2 months