Market research firm Ipsos has released its Vehicle Quality Survey (VQS) for 2018.
The VQS was conducted throughout South Africa in 2017, involving survey feedback from 7,000 owners of vehicles from 16 brands. The survey calculates a quality score based on customer’s feedback at about three months after they’ve purchased the vehicle.
Scores reflect proportions of problems and issues reported by these customers and so the lower the score the better the quality.
According to the results, Toyota achieved 13 gold awards – seven for passenger cars and six for light commercial vehicles (LCVs) – from 16 categories.
Volkswagen was runner-up with eight golds in 2017 after collecting four in the 2016 survey.
Other gold award winners in 2017, (with the 2016 score in parentheses) include: Audi, 5 (5); Isuzu, 3 (0); Honda, 3 (0); Nissan, 2 (8); Opel, 2 (1); and Ford, 2 (2).
More than one gold award was awarded in some of the categories where two or more vehicles or manufacturers qualified by achieving the same scores.
You can find the full list of Gold winners detailed below.
Best passenger cars
- Entry Level – Toyota Aygo
- Entry Level – Toyota Etios Hatch
- Compact Hatch – Toyota Yaris
- Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV) – Toyota Avanza
- Best Volume Passenger Car Brand – Toyota
- Best Local Manufacturing Plant for Passenger Cars – Toyota SA Motors, Prospecton
- Regular Recreational Vehicle – Toyota RAV4
- Mainstream Hatch – Volkswagen Golf 7
- Compact Sedan – Volkswagen Polo
- Best New Volume Passenger Car – Volkswagen Golf 7 GTi
- Best Local Manufacturing Plant for Passenger Cars – Volkswagen Group SA, Uitenhage
- Large Recreational Vehicle – Volkswagen Touareg
- Premium Sedan – Audi A3
- Sport/Luxury – Audi A5 Sportback
- Best Overall Passenger Car Brand – Audi
- Cross-Over Vehicle – Audi Q5
- Cross-Over Vehicle – Audi Q3
- Cross-Over Vehicle – Honda HR-V
- Mainstream Sedan – Honda Civic
- Best New Recreational Vehicle – Honda BR-V
- Premium Hatch – Opel Adam
- Best Volume Passenger Car Brand – Opel
- Best Volume Passenger Car Brand – Nissan
- Best Volume Passenger Car Brand – Ford
Best Light Commercial Vehicles
- Single Cab Pick-up – Toyota Hilux Petrol
- Double Cab Pick-Up – Toyota Hilux Diesel
- Best Light Commercial Vehicle Brand Overall – Toyota
- Best One-Ton Single Cab Light Commercial Vehicle Brand – Toyota
- Best One-Ton Double Cab Light Commercial Vehicle Brand – Toyota
- Best Local Manufacturing Plant for Light Commercial Vehicles – Toyota SA Motors, Prospecton
- Double Cab Pick-Up – Volkswagen Amarok Diesel
- Best Light Commercial Vehicle Brand Overall – Volkswagen
- Best One-Ton Double Cab Light Commercial Vehicle Brand – Volkswagen
- Extra-Cab Pick-Up – Isuzu KB
- Best New Light Commercial Vehicle – Isuzu KB XC
- Best Extra-Cab Light Commercial Vehicle Brand – Isuzu
- Sub-One Ton Pick-up – Nissan NP200
- Best One-Ton Double Cab Light Commercial Vehicle Brand – Ford