The tech space has seen a large number of high profile moves in and away from some of the biggest companies in the country in 2012, including the appointment of Shameel Joosub as CEO of Vodacom, a post he took up officially on Monday (3 September 2012).
BusinessTech looks back on the ins and outs of executives since January.
- Cell C appointed Alan Knott-Craig as the new CEO on 19 January 2012. Knott Craig joined company and the Cell C board of directors on 1 April 2012.
- MTN Group appointed two new exectives: group operations exective Themba Khumalo in April, and head of enterprise business Farhad Khan in June.
- Broadband Infraco appointed a new CEO, Puleng Sejanamane in April – Sejanamane took over from acting CEO, Andrew Shaw.
- Altron subsidiary, Powertech, appointed COO, Neil Kayton as CEO in June, following former CEO, Norbert Claussen’s resignation in May.
- Powertech subsidiary, Powertech Transformers’ CEO, Leon Viljoen took up the role of Powertech COO. In August, Powertech Transformers appointed Bernard Meyer as CEO for the company.
- In May, Internet Solutions CEO, Derek Wilcocks succeeded Allan Cawood as CEO for Dimension Data Middle East & Africa. Saki Missaikos took over the reigns as CEO for IS.
- Virgin Mobile South Africa appointed Jonathan Marchbank as the company’s new CEO after former chief executive, Steve Bailey stepped down from his post at the end of May.
- In July, Altech also appointed two new executives: executive of corporate finance, Robin Marsden and CIO, Richard Wingfield.
- Zoopy founders, Jason and Pat Elk (CEO and operations director, respectively) announced their departure from the company.
- In March 2012, Boyd Chislett was appointed as CEO of the newly-formed Altech Technology Concepts; pre-merger CEO, Wayne de Nobrega stayed on at ATC, reporting to Chislett, until he announced his departure from the company in August.
- Vodacom has seen some big changes this year with the June announcement that CEO, Pieter Uys would be stepping down. On 1 September, Vodafone Spain CEO, Shameel Joosub took over the reins as Vodacom’s CEO. Managing director and COO, Sipho Maseko has also left the company.
- Vodacom financial services executive, Mark Taylor has also announced that he would be joining his old company, Nashua Mobile, as managing director from 1 October 2012.
Global tech companies have also undergone changes
- After a long and dramatic executive shift, Marissa Mayer was appointed as Yahoo’s CEO, following the ousting of former CEO, Scott Thompson’s dodgy qualifications.
- Sony Corp announced that former PlayStation head, Kazuo Hirai would succeed Sir Howard Stringer as the company’s CEO and president, which came into effect on April 1st.
- In February, U.S. memory chipmaker Micron Technology’s chief executive and chairman, Steve Appleton, died in a small plane crash. Micron COO, Mark Duncan took over as CEO.