DoC forks out bonuses for 150 staff

The Department of Communications awarded bonuses to 150 personnel, at a cost of R3.407 million, and an average of R22,713 each, it said in its annual report.

The DoC noted, however, that it was only able to achieve 21 (54%) of its targets for the year ended March 2013.

The DoC paid R157.5 million for the service of approximately 319 employees, including an “abnormal appointment” at a cost of R1.547 million.

The department spent R16.66 million in employee benefits in 2013, according to its annual financial report, including R3.7 million on “performance awards” and an additional R3.68 million on “service bonus” (thirteenth cheque).

This figure was up from R13.68 million in 2012.

In terms of the DoC 2012-2013 Annual Performance Plan, a total of 39 targets were planned to have been achieved by the end of the 2012/13 financial year by all programmes within the Department.

“In terms of progress made, the DoC was able to achieve 21 (54%) of its targets. Although the remaining 18 (46%) targets were not fully achieved, the Department, in most cases, made substantial progress towards achievement of these targets,” it said.

Democratic Alliance (DA) shadow minister of communications, Marian Shinn, noted a discrepancy following a parliamentary question posed by the DA, to DoC minister Yunus Carrim, who cited a figure of R2.8 million in bonuses to 167 employees.

However, Shinn stressed that Carrim noted that no executive level DoC members received bonuses, with staff rewarded for effectively doing the job of two people in some instances because the department was understaffed in some areas.

Shinn said she would take up the discrepancy with the department.

During the 2012/13 financial year, the Department said it had concluded an extensive organisational review process which resulted in an approved organisational structure by both the Department of Public Service and Administration and Carrim.

The finalisation of the organisational review process did have a negative impact on recruitment of staff especially at non-SMS (Senior Management Service) level, the DoC said.

“However, despite minimal recruitment at non-SMS level, during the reporting period, the Department was able to fill critical vacancies at SMS level.

“As a result, at the end of March 2013, the vacancy rate of the Department reduced from 29% in 2012 to just 12,5% in 2013 when calculated against the 303 funded posts in line with the new organisational structure, as signed by the Minister in August 2012,” it said.

DoC entity budget vs expenditure 2013
DoC entity budget vs expenditure 2013

Allocation

The Department’s final allocation for the 2012/13 financial year amounts to R1.66 billion and is made up of the baseline allocation of R1.712 billion and an adjustment of minus R57.315 million.

The adjusted allocation includes additional R1.642 million for higher personnel remuneration and the reduction of R58.957 million under goods and services which was identified by the Department as savings.

The spending for the 2012/13 financial year amounted to R1.651 billion (99.8%) and the underspending of R3.8 million.

Fruitless and wasteful expenditure for the 2012/13 financial year amounted to R1.095 million, of which R1.001 million was paid in respect of settlement agreements and is disclosed in disclosure note of the financial statements.

More news on the DoC

DoC’s wasteful expenditure revealed

DoC targets 100Mbps broadband by 2030

Communications DG to stay: minister

Department of Communications in disarray?

Taxpayers foot Pule’s R1 million legal bill

Must Read

Partner Content

Show comments

Trending Now

Follow Us

DoC forks out bonuses for 150 staff